• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Red eye??

littlebeeme

Young Bun
I've noticed that Boo keeps getting red eye, as the night wears on. It seems a little pink in the morning, but gets quite red towards the evening. It's definitely worse today. I wonder if it's the hay I've been using during the day time - Pets at home timothy hay. Normal they have timothy hay from our local country store. It isn't weeping/running/crusting but it does look red and a bit swollen.

He's 10 weeks old and up to date on vaccs. He's an indoor bun, housed with his brother Smudge. Bedding is Megazorb which I change daily, and I use paper litter in their litter tray. They have constant hay/Burgess pellets/Alfafa hay bale at night time. Benjamin is going to the toilet, eating and drinking as normal and is running around like a loon, so it's clearly not having much of an impact on him!

I think I will take him to the vets tomorrow morning, but I wondered if anyone could offer any advice please? I've attached a couple of pictures, the first to show his eye and the second shows the red

Thanks for any advice, I'm all worried

Last edited:
He definitely needs to see a vet, so you're doing the right thing booking him in tomorrow. Tbh, it's difficult to tell what it could be. Eye problems could be anything from a bit of hay stuck in it to pasturella or dental problems. Hopefully it's nothing serious ad a course of eye drops will sort it out.

He is beautiful btw. :love:

Thank you for replying :D I'm keeping everything crossed that it is something nice and easy to treat, as he has only been with us 2 weeks x

Thank you Zoobec, I fell in love with Boo from the moment we met :) He is a cheeky little boy who refuses cuddles though!

Off to the vet at 10.10. I'll update when back x

Now just to get him into the carrier......

Last edited:
Hopefully it's nothing serious. Luna has sensitive eyes and I've just used Fucithalmic eye drops and it's always cleared up :)

Back