• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP ! When bonded bunnies fall out :( help getting them to be friends again please

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
Hi all

After a bit of advice. Gizmo are gummy bunny recently had to have an abscess removed from his head/ear so as it was a major surgery and had to be open to allow drainage we had to separate him from Alex. So gizmo moved indoors and Alex stayed in her hutch with supervised visits. The first day gizmo was home Alex was grooming him and being very sweet but she kept trying to clean the poorly ear so had to separate again. :( now gizmo is recovering well (although he is on long term antibiotics to keep inner ear abscess infection controlled) so we wanted to try getting them together again however Alex is now grunting and won't tolerate him in the hutch at all . We tried in gizmos indoor hutch and again she went mental on him. Which we can't afford to happen as he can't defend himself with no teeth.
They have never been a loving couple and they basically lived together fine but play time had to be separate as Alex is territorial and as our other rabbits come in the house too she wouldn't give gizmo any peace. In the hutch she would snuggle into him for warmth and groom him so there is some affection there.

We are now trying anything to get these two back together. I tried rushing things the other day and it went wrong which was very upsetting so I am now going back to basics . I have them shut in the kitchen (neutral territory) and Alex is grooming gizmo and snuggling him. How long should I leave them like this? Also how often should I try putting them together and long before trying them somewhere else.
9yda3yje.jpg
yda8u3yp.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems like things are going well in the kitchen, I would keep them in there for as long as possible to re cement their bond, but at least 48 hours. In the meantime I would neutralise the places you want them to have access to by spraying with a solution of vinegar diluted 50/50 with water.

I can't leave them in the kitchen overnight sadly :( but can do play times in there. We will try neutralising the areas they are going to be in when they are friendly enough to try elsewhere but think we spend at least a couple weeks before putting them in there hutch . I really don't want this to go wrong. They clearly do love each other so will do whatever is needed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back