• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PAH to run workshops on caring for rabbits responsibly

ashbunny

Alpha Buck
Quote from our local newspaper article:

As part of Rabbit Awareness Week, Pets at Home in Newmarket will be holding a series of free workshops between May 10 and May 18.

As part of the theme 'Change One Thing' the workshops can show how simple changes can make a big difference from five key areas: environment, health, company, behaviour and diet.

Store manager of Pets at Home in Newmarket said "Rabbits are the UK's third popular pet, making rewarding pets for adults and supervised older children. They're highly intelligent, social, interactive and fun creatures that are extremely clean and can even be litter trained. They have individual and distinct personalities and often live over ten years old, so having a rabbit as a pet is a long-term commitment."

For more information, go to www.rabbitawarenessweek.co.uk

I was shocked to see something about bunny welfare in the paper!

Similar article here: http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/11189553.Rabbit_workshops_raise_awareness_at_Pets_at_Home/ although this refers to a different store, apparently this is happening in many stores. Both of them say basically identical things.

I'm thinking about going along to one of these workshops just to see what they say :lol:

we popped into a store near us today, as needed to get a willow ball for sox, they already had the table out with rabbit awareness week leaflets on there and rspca ones etc, I took one of each, not sure if I should of but no one was there, and I wanted to see what information was going to be given out :oops::lol:

we popped into a store near us today, as needed to get a willow ball for sox, they already had the table out with rabbit awareness week leaflets on there and rspca ones etc, I took one of each, not sure if I should of but no one was there, and I wanted to see what information was going to be given out :oops::lol:

What did you think of the info on offer?

My kids have been down for the kids club rabbit talks they do. The one we went to was great. Talked about diet and neutering, vaccination and company. No child was allowed to handle a rabbit as the lady told them only adults should handle them. I was very impressed as it was done at a kids level.

Sounds good. They just need to stop using such AWFUL breeders and preferably stop selling small animals of all kinds.

Glad they are getting reliable info. from good scources.

Saw that advertised last Friday when I popped in for food etc, along with a snake workshop and I think guinea pigs or something. Was going to post something like this bit totally forgot :lol:

Glad to hear it's something positive, at least.

I have read this thread with mixed feelings. I acknowledge that PAH are acting in a more responsible way, or at least wanting to be seen to be acting more responsibly. Hopefully the information they give out may reach those owners, and the rabbits, that need it.

However for me, I cannot understand why they continue to sell rabbits when they are aware of the rabbit rescue situation in this country. If they were truly committed to rabbit welfare they would accept that their turnover of rabbits must contibute to this and act accordingly. I have not spent money at PAH for some time now, and have no intention of doing so in the forseeable future.

I have read this thread with mixed feelings. I acknowledge that PAH are acting in a more responsible way, or at least wanting to be seen to be acting more responsibly. Hopefully the information they give out may reach those owners, and the rabbits, that need it.

However for me, I cannot understand why they continue to sell rabbits when they are aware of the rabbit rescue situation in this country. If they were truly committed to rabbit welfare they would accept that their turnover of rabbits must contibute to this and act accordingly. I have not spent money at PAH for some time now, and have no intention of doing so in the forseeable future.

I have to agree. I read somewhere (may have even been on RU) that PAH make losses on most of the animals they sell due to vet costs etc. They make their money on the sale of accommodation and food, bedding etc for the rest of the animal's life. So why don't they recommend rescues etc and still can make money from the purchase of these items.

That's why I think I might go along - I'm curious to see if the staff will put a spin on the workshop to encourage people to spend money in there either by purchasing rabbits or what they sell.

Our local petshop sells rabbits (and other small animals, birds and fish) as they help to drew people in to the shop. I must admit that I impulse bought my first two rabbits there (Frosty and Snowflake) so it must work ...

I have since done research and will now rescue rabbits but as a marketing ploy having animals in store in successful.

They are worried about pushing the market towards smaller petshops and breeders where the rabbits will not get the same level of welfare. I have spoken a few times at work about it and said that I would like to see a larger adoption centre and much less young rabbits available. Also I did say that we need to be able to take back any rabbit that is sold and is no longer wanted which will take the pressure of other rescues rather than there being a waiting list. The breeders that we do get our animals from are checked regularly and we have our own drivers now so we know they are all in air conditions vans and the people that are transporting them are our own employees. The thing is if people want a rabbit they will get one whether it's from PAH or somewhere else. It's all sad I know so many people who get bunnies and have no idea they need company/neutering etc and just 'want rid'.
:(

Back