• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gastro Stasis help Please

Solarwind

Young Bun
For the past year Patch, our 8 year-old Dutch rabbit, has been in and out of stasis. Each time it has been an ordeal of trying to get him to eat and each time his droppings have become fewer and fewer, smaller and smaller sometimes to look like mouse droppings. He never really has returned to normal though he improves to produce a reasonable amount of larger droppings more frequently but nothing like he was when he first came to live with us. Now he is into a really long bout of stasis. Though he is lively, but with periods of inactivity when he looks depressed and lethargic, he just will not improve. Right now he hardly eats, picking only at the grass and dandelions recommended by the vet with a reduced amount of pellets and Fibro Plus. Previously his diet consisted of cabbage, carrots and tops, kale, apples, broccoli and parsley his favourite which now he does not touch. He also has Ready Grass and three different types of hay including Timothy Hay, however he rarely touches hay barely nibbling at a strand or two. And in fact nibbling is now all he does. I have given him a variety of herbs in addition to the grass and dandelions, he takes a small amount and that is all. He is fed on Recovery four or five times a day 5 to 10 mils a time though the vet said only 2 mils, but I am worried to give him such a small amount as he is eating little else. He has been X-rayed and has the usual meds of Metoclopramide and Zantac, hydration treatment and painkillers ( Matacam) but nothing is helping. The problem with the medication is that he has had to remain on a maintenance dose so I am wondering if it now actually working. I am at my wits end, as I don’t know what to do. The x-ray revealed he had a large amount of fat in his intestine, which I think the vet said resembled a tumour but was benign but which nevertheless may be slowing down his digestive tract. I am not really sure about the last sentence as the x-ray was over a week ago now and there was no written diagnosis. The vet said there were no signs of cancer and that his kidneys and lungs were clear and his teeth were okay. I was told he needs to loose weight and his intake of pellets has been reduced and he is allowed only an eggcup full of pellets and Pro Fibre each day along with grass and dandelions, which he hardly eats, but he is getting worse. I don't know what to do I am at my wits end for there seems to be no solution. Any help please will be much appreciated. Thank you

I agree with Jane that bloods need to be taken.

What pellets is he on? I used to have a non-hay eating bun and moved him to bunny basics T which is hay based, this may help a little in the longer term.

With regards to recovery food (when he is not well), have you tried Oxbow fine blend. I find this easier to syringe and sometimes they will take it off a spoon.

You could also try him with some hawthorn and blackberry leaves as this can help the digestive system.

Has he had his teeth checked thoroughly as if his teeth aren't right he won't nibble on the things he used to like.

:love:... Lots of nomming and pooping vibes being sent. i hope they discover whats causing this..

Poor wee soul..

Fee xxx

I agree with Jane that bloods need to be taken.

What pellets is he on? I used to have a non-hay eating bun and moved him to bunny basics T which is hay based, this may help a little in the longer term.

With regards to recovery food (when he is not well), have you tried Oxbow fine blend. I find this easier to syringe and sometimes they will take it off a spoon.

You could also try him with some hawthorn and blackberry leaves as this can help the digestive system.

Has he had his teeth checked thoroughly as if his teeth aren't right he won't nibble on the things he used to like.

Thank you for replying. He is on Burgess Excel pellets, the vet seems to think there is nothing clinically wrong and have checked his teeth, which are supposed to be okay. Have tried blackberry leaves, he ate them the first time but now won't eat anymore, will try the Hawthorn as soon as I can get some. He has improved slightly though he has done this before and than gone back to eating less. Will ask vet about blood tests which have never been suggested. if he stops eating or not producing any droppings altogether they are going to have him in the day hospital for observation. Will try the Oxbow recovery as the one we have keeps getting stuck in the syringe which is making matters worse. I think they really don’t know what to do anymore. Thanks for your suggestions

:love:... Lots of nomming and pooping vibes being sent. i hope they discover whats causing this..

Poor wee soul..

Fee xxx

Thank you . I hope he recovers soon. I don't think they have any idea what is causing him to stay in stasis.

Do you trust your vet- do you think they are rabbit savvy? It seems odd that they have not run blood tests. My vet ran blood tests on one of my rabbits within a few days of her being in stasis.

You said that X-rays have been done and his teeth are okay. Did this include specific skull radiographs to check for tooth root elongation? Cheek teeth often need examining under anesthetic to get an accurate picture.

If you do get the Oxbow, make sure it is the fine blend one and try it at different consistencies. It may look expensive when you buy it but it is a big bag and is very smooth to syringe.

I also feed mine with Oxbow bunny basics which is a hay based pellet, might be worth you trying that moving forward. I also feed Protexin pro-fibre pellets - a few each day as a treat. If you would like me to send you some of these to try before buying (as it is not cheap if you just want to try) then drop me a PM with your address and I can post you a sample of each.

Back