• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued wild bunny. - please look.

Nieve

Young Bun
My mom has saved a baby rabbit from the cat up the stables. He had the rabbit in his mouth but cannot see any injuries. The baby is probably about 5 weeks old as he is quite tiny. My mom didn't want to realise it as she didn't know if was hurt and the cat keeps killing them so it isn't an option to realise t back into the wild.

We have put it in a hutch on it's own. How do we go about introducing pellet food? It has no visible injuries just quiet and shocked/ timid.

We are obviously not going to introduce it to our other 3 rabbits yet.

We know we have probably done the wrong thing by keeping it but we felt it was it's best interest as the cat would have just killed it.

Thank you

I think you should try to get it to a wildlife centre that can properly look after the bunny.

I am sure that a cats saliva can have an effect on a bunny, I think I read that somewhere.

A wild bunny needs so much more space than a domestic one.

Wild rabbits are independent quite young so 5 week is probably not hanging with mum any more.

For a wild rabbit you need something like a shed/aviary set up and it needs to be very secure (they dig and jump and chew through wood and squeeze through gaps) - they may not bond with pets and it's likely to be handleable (as you've missed the first few weeks when they form attachments through handrearing). It's behaviour now whilst it's stressed/shocked isn't what you'll get as an adult. They are high strung, need a lot of space and lot of enrichment.

My mom has saved a baby rabbit from the cat up the stables. He had the rabbit in his mouth but cannot see any injuries. The baby is probably about 5 weeks old as he is quite tiny. My mom didn't want to realise it as she didn't know if was hurt and the cat keeps killing them so it isn't an option to realise t back into the wild.

We have put it in a hutch on it's own. How do we go about introducing pellet food? It has no visible injuries just quiet and shocked/ timid.

We are obviously not going to introduce it to our other 3 rabbits yet.

We know we have probably done the wrong thing by keeping it but we felt it was it's best interest as the cat would have just killed it.

Thank you

Can you get a photo so we can assess age and ensure it is old enough to survive without mother?

Re pellets - I would actually feed grass and hay for now and only very very slowly introduce pellets if you are sure you will keep it.

Wildies are difficult to keep if they are not hand reared and need a very very large space to run and leap etc practically free range.

Perhaps keep it a couple of days to ensure it is well (do not handle if at all possible) and then take to meadow where you think cat got it from?

If you really feel cat will gte it again then take to wildlife rehabilitation centre

Back