• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny no 4?

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
As most of you know I have three bonded lionhead cross sisters who are 7 and 8 months old.

I'd really like to add a fourth bunny. The girls are happy and since a week post spay I haven't had any dominance issues.

Would this be a bad thing? I think a group of four is better as no bun will get left out then - is this just me applying horse behaviour to rabbits though? Is the girls bond more likely to break down if I introduce a fourth neutered male?

Have looked at what rescue bunnies are available and there are several of the small/medium sized boys under 18 months who are Duch, mini Lop or a cross that I like the look of with a similar temperment. I'd love to offer another rescue bun a home but not if it's going to seriously jepordise the girls future happiness.

Hmm, if they were my bunnies, I think I would be inclined to leave them as a happy trio rather than risk upsetting them. You could end up in a worse case scenario with 4 single rabbits.

I'm by no means a bonding expert though, I've only done the one bond, which was my male pair to a female pair to make a quad. I knew the personalities of each bunny well and risked it, with 4 pairs of hands to pull the plug if there was any sign of anything kicking off.

I think in your situation you are already really lucky to have 3 females living happily together :love:

If I were you I'd leave it for a little while to see how the bond goes. If you find one is getting left out then it would be worth considering a quad, knowing you may end up with 2 pairs.

Back