• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lonely rabbit

Hovis

New Kit
Hello - Our 6 year old Dutch rabbit Septimus has been living on his own since his sister and companion died. Not an ideal situation - the obvious solution would be to find him a new partner but as our house is on the market and the children have grown up, it's not really the best time. We love him and would not want him to go somewhere we know nothing about. Obviously there is the rehome matching service but how would we know he is going to a good home? He is such a lovely rabbit but we don't feel we are doing our best for him now he's living on his own. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a local female lonely rabbit who'd like to bond with our Septimus? (We live in SW Hampshire). If we moved house to somewhere where he could be a house rabbit, that would be great but there's no sign of that happening soon. Haven't worked out how to upload a photo yet, sorry.

If this post is in the wrong section, sorry, feel free to move it! Thanks for reading and for any useful tips.

Hi
Its really hard when a rabbits partner dies to know what to do for the best.
It might be an idea to change the title of your thread to 'lonely rabbit _ single doe'
Hopefully someone will come along soon with more advice
Good luck

You may be able to find a rabbit of the same age at a rescue who could then advise you about bonding (or perhaps bond them for a small fee). Hope you manage to sort something out for him.

Thanks for your suggestions. It is difficult when rabbits get older because I don't really feel I should take on a new rabbit as we are planning to move. But that would give me more certainty about him being looked after. Would find it really hard for him to go to strangers:(

there are local rescues you could try but they will no doubt be up to their eyes and have full waiting lists..

It is difficult but like others have suggested another little friend might be a tonic.. Given its the summer time perhaps if bonded, they could be kept outside when you move..

i dont know if thats a possibility but I hope you manage to find the perfect solution.

all the best
fee x

I don't think rehoming him would be the answer, mainly because he's likely never to find a home, or end up waiting a long, long time for one. :( There are thousands of rabbits in desperate need of homes already and it's unlikely that a rescue will take on a bun that isn't in desperate need.

I would ring a rescue, as others have suggested, and see what their solution is. I think getting him another friend will be the answer. If you are not going to be moving for a while, perhaps you will have time to settle them in before moving. You could look at boarding facilities for them to go to for a couple of weeks when you sell your house, this way you won't have to stress over them getting in the way or making things difficult when you are trying to sort out moving and unpacking etc. :thumb:

I agree with others about trying to find him a nice wifeybun, as opposed to rehoming him. I'm sadly having to rehome one of my buns and it's a very long and emotionally draining process which I would not advise doing unless you really had to, like I do. Plus I think he'll love having another bunny to snuggle up to! There is a rabbits in need section on here which both rescues and individuals post in to advertise their bunnies, as well as the Rabbit Rehome website and obviously there are rescues dotted around that will no doubt have bunnies waiting for a home.

Back