• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do I need to clean it?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jack won a monkey teddy ftom a fayre yesterday and I think it may have been a 2nd handteddy as there were no tags and the lable has been cut out.
I let Jack have it straight away and he went to bed with it last night anf I just registered that I hadnt cleaned it in any way and it has s bit of a 'sicky' smell to it. Do I need to clean it in any way??

It will probably be ok, but just stick it in the washing machine on a light wash if it will make you feel better :)

I have washed my teddies in the washing machine before.

It will probably be ok, but just stick it in the washing machine on a light wash if it will make you feel better :)

But its been all over the house? Beds, sofa etc... :shock:
Is there a risk to the buns?

Im sure it will be fine without a clean, if it doesn't look dirty and used then the smell could be from being stored somewhere for a while. :wave:

So if I dont clean it or anything it has touched it will not affect the buns in ANY way? What if the person who owned it before had a bunny with vhd??

So if I dont clean it or anything it has touched it will not affect the buns in ANY way? What if the person who owned it before had a bunny with vhd??

Read previous replies to similar questions on other threads re you concerns about VHD

Use the strategies your treatment taught you

If we keep replying on here we are not helping you at all. Hence I will not be replying any more

The chance that the owner had a bun wouldn't be that high
The chance that if they did the bun had a infectious disease would be much lower
The chance that the teddy had come into contact with a virus will be tiny
Even if the teddy had somehow come in contact which would be soooooooooooooo highly unlikely there would not be any surviving germs on it as they die quite quickly esp when there isn't any humidity on a surface like a teddy

Relax it will be fine :wave:

I was meaning if you feel that it smells then clean it......there will be no risk to any bun or any person from a teddy bear.

Read previous replies to similar questions on other threads re you concerns about VHD

Use the strategies your treatment taught you

If we keep replying on here we are not helping you at all. Hence I will not be replying any more

Normally I would always wash something under this circumstances but for some reasion I didnt this time thats why um worried and Kermit said 'it will probably be ok' for what may it not be ok?

Normally I would always wash something under this circumstances but for some reasion I didnt this time thats why um worried and Kermit said 'it will probably be ok' for what may it not be ok?

Don't take what I have said the wrong way.

I shouldn't have bothered answering, I was just saying what I would do.
I personally would wash the teddy if I thought it had a smell simply to take away the smell, for no other reason than that. I would never think that a Teddy was a carrier with VHD. My mind doesn't think like that so my response did not take that factor in to account. I thought that you were asking as a general 'smell' question. You never asked about VHD in your question.

I will bow out of answering your posts in future as I would not want something that I said to cause you any distress.

Come on Rachel - you've been doing brilliantly.

Don't let this bear spoil it.

Honestly there's no risk to the bunnies at all. They're fine.

Wash the bear if you must (to get rid of the smell - if there is one)

Try not to give it a second thought.

You can do this!

Back