• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Prognosis for 10yr old bunny with uterine cancer? :( Also need a vet near Farnborough

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,
I have posted here with a couple of scares my rabbit has given me in the past, but this time it seems to be quite serious.
I have a 10yr old unspayed doe (she'll be 11 around september-ish). I've had her since I was 11 years old and she is everything to me.
I know now that she should have been spayed when she was younger, but I didn't realize the importance until she was around 6yrs and by then I didn't want to risk the surgery.

A couple of days ago while picking her up I noticed a very small amount of blood underneath her around her.. opening.. Needless to say this scared me, but I've now observed blood in her urine twice since. It is definitely blood without doubt; not a lot, but blood nontheless. Not colouring from food.
If there is anything else this could be, I would really appreciate any thoughts on it. But I realize that what it most likely means is uterine cancer. :cry:

As far as other symtoms go, I don't think she has any. She is playful, bright and as cheeky as ever, always wanting food from me. She seemed to lose some weight a good 6 months+ ago, but since I reintroduced pellets into her diet (I had her on just grass, hay and vegetables for several years as pellets seemed to give her GI stasis), she's gained it back. Reflecting on things, I think she was quite depressed. My parents are going through (a very drawn-out and stressful) on-off divorce (having lasted about 2yrs now) and even she felt the effects as I was under stress and she didn't receive enough attention from me.
She's gone back to herself now and I would say she is a healthy weight, and always hungry!
About 2-3 weeks ago when the weather warmed up she started nesting (and has pulled all the fur from her chest, even going down one front leg). Not sure if that's significant as she used to do it all the time, but thought I'd mention it as it's been a little while since I saw her do it.
The only health problem I'm aware of is that she seems to have a touch of arthritis in her back legs and can find it difficult sometimes, yet she can still run sometimes and binky's frequently.

I'm hoping perhaps someone could give me some advice if at all possible and give me an idea what her chances of survival are. Would she be better off not having the surgery and just having pain management? I would rather know from those with experience with their own rabbits as I don't fully trust a vet not to suggest the course that benefits them, not the animal. Sorry if I seem supsicious, but my parents had a bad experience with our old GSD. He was on expensive medication that they found out later he didn't even need!
I have no insurance and money is very tight. I have no job at the moment as I am a full time carer for my disabled brother; I get £61 a week and that has to cover one half of a food bill for my Mum (who can't work due to illness and my Dad does not support financially, even though they're technically still married), my brother, myself, our dog and of course my beloved rabbit as well as a few additional expenses. I'm trying to start a business from home, but so far with little success. I have very little in the way of savings, so I have to be very careful. That now said, I would give my last penny to my girl and everything else I have to give. No material thing even comes close to rivaling what she means to me.

She is happy, I know that much. I have seen animals get to the point where you know it's their time. She is not at that stage. She is happy and has a strong will to live. I know her too well.
I want to do whats best for her and give her the longest, happiest life I can.

I was also hoping someone might know of a vet as local as possible to Farnborough, Hampshire who has training and experience with rabbits. I want someone who really knows what they're doing with rabbits. I know that might sound a little silly, but I know that not all vets are properly trained in rabbits.
I know that a vet not too far from me has a couple who are supposed to be expereinced in rabbits as I wrote their names down a while ago (assuming they still work there)
Anyone had any experience? The surgery is called Ashworth and the vet's names are Hannah Tombs and Annelise Underwood (though a quick search of their website only seems to show Hannah)

Also any advice on taking her? She's never been to the vet in her life. She's always been healthy. I'm worried she'll panic, especially if there are other animals around :/

Any advice and suggestions on vet's would be very very greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Edit:
Another google search has turned up another surgery called Farnborough Veterinary Centre
The head vet there is Amy Scott. It says she worked at a small animal hospital for 18 months. They also have another surgeon there called Katherine Love, who has a particular interest in small animal medicine.
Anyone had any experience them? I think I'm leaning toward them right now, but would love it if anyone could come up with another suggestion?

Last edited:
Sadly UC is a very likely cause of your Doe's symptoms. Other possibilities are Urinary tract/kidney issues, but as she is apparently well within herself at the moment and showing no other symptoms than haematuria then the latter are less likely. UC is pretty 'silent' as far as symptoms go until it is relatively advanced. It is possible that there may be some metastatic disease too. The lungs and the liver are often the site of secondary tumours.

Taking your Doe to a Rabbit Savvy Vet is the most important thing now. He/she would be able to detect an abnormal uterus from palpating it. Given your Rabbit's age any decision for major invasive surgery would need to be very carefully considered. The Vet would certainly want to run blood tests and take a chest Xray before attempting surgery. Then not only would there be the high risk of GA for a 10 year old Rabbit, recovery from such a big operation may be very protracted. So I guess one would need to consider how far it was fair to push the boundaries. In some cases just because a procedure can be done, it does not mean that it is always right (for the Rabbit) to do it. But any decision made has to take into account everything, not just her age. A good Vet will help you make the right decision for your Doe. It is obvious how much she means to you and you will do what is in her best interests.

Gill Tose at Windlesham Village Vets is very Rabbit Savvy

http://www.windleshamvet.com/index.html

I would strongly second Gill at windlesham vets.

I know it's more if a trek from farnborough but it's just 1 junction up the M3 and Gill is absolutely brilliant.

Nothing to add to the advice already given but I wanted to wish you well and to say that I hope all goes well when you do find a vet. Your rabbit obviously means a lot to you.

I would also say to go to the vets at windlesham. I had one of my bunnies spayed there and they were brilliant. You would definitely be in safe hands.

Back