• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A poo question

Kirotea

Mama Doe
Was I wrong in thinking that rabbits just ate their cecals? Millie just put her head down to eat her cecals I thought, she put her head back up and I got up a bit quick and startled her and two fully formed poos fell out of her mouth! Do they sometimes eat normal poos too?

Was I wrong in thinking that rabbits just ate their cecals? Millie just put her head down to eat her cecals I thought, she put her head back up and I got up a bit quick and startled her and two fully formed poos fell out of her mouth! Do they sometimes eat normal poos too?

My buns, Shadowfax does this. She doesn't eat them, she just seems to pull them out and then drop them on the floor. :? She hasn't done it much recently, but I noticed she did it much more just after she was poorly with stasis, so maybe it was something to do with that?

My buns, Shadowfax does this. She doesn't eat them, she just seems to pull them out and then drop them on the floor. :? She hasn't done it much recently, but I noticed she did it much more just after she was poorly with stasis, so maybe it was something to do with that?

Neither of my girls have had any problems with stasis. I emptied their litter tray at lunchtime and there was the usual amount etc of poo and they've both been eating hay since and pooed in the tray. She looked like she was chewing them before she dropped them out but then I understand they don't actually chew their cecals, it just looks like they are. One was entact and the other was a bit broken up. I was a bit shocked because I've never seen her do it before. They tend to eat their cecals in their resting spot rather than their litter tray and I very rarely find any poos on the carpet so I'm not sure if she's done it before :?

When Barney's eating his cecals, he'll pull a normal poo out and place it on the floor in front of him then eat it :shock: I assumed it was because he gets confused that he's not pooed in his litter tray (he's a very tidy bun) and doesn't want to leave a mess!

Neither of my girls have had any problems with stasis. I emptied their litter tray at lunchtime and there was the usual amount etc of poo and they've both been eating hay since and pooed in the tray. She looked like she was chewing them before she dropped them out but then I understand they don't actually chew their cecals, it just looks like they are. One was entact and the other was a bit broken up. I was a bit shocked because I've never seen her do it before. They tend to eat their cecals in their resting spot rather than their litter tray and I very rarely find any poos on the carpet so I'm not sure if she's done it before :?

I wouldn't worry then. :) Probably just something some buns do. :lol:

Back