• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess after vaccinations

Delta

Warren Scout
Has anyone else's bun ever got an abscess from their vacs?
Delta had hers last Tuesday and after noticing she just wasn't quite right, I took her to the vets on saturday. She had a scab where they'd done the vacs which my previous bun used to get but when the vet squeezed it, it started leaking pus. She has an abscess about the size of a 5p but the vet thinks it will need cutting out. We've got an appointment on Tuesday to decide. So glad I took her. She was still eating and pooping but just not herself.
I know buns don't fare well under anesthetic so i'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help it heal?? I'll do anything. Never had a bun with an abscess before :cry:

It is certainly rare for an abscess to develop at the site of a vaccination if the vaccination was given correctly and everything was sterile :?

With abscesses in Rabbits it is usually best to surgically remove the entire abscess capsule. This gives the best chance of it not recurring. Just draining it and giving antibiotics is less likely to be successful and the problem can get much worse. Anesthesia is much safer these days if the Vet is competent. I would want to be as sure as I can be that the Vet carrying out the procedure was 'Rabbit Savvy'.

Has the Vet put your Rabbit onto a broad spectrum antibiotic prior to surgery ? Did the Vet give you an acceptable explanation as to why the abscess has occured ?

Last edited:
This is exactly what happened to my bunny when she was younger. She was vaccinated again recently at a risk of it happening again and a tiny pea sized abscess formed. Thankfully it cleared up with daily cleaning but I now won't be vaccinating her anymore as the risk is too high for more abscesses.

In regards to healing I wouldn't do anything to the wound. Pippin healed super quickly :)

Basically we took her to a vaccination clinic instead of or vet for her vacs. It was a vet that did it but he was awful. Firstly he put the needle right the way through her skin so the vaccine all came out. He did it again and the fluid came out again. He said it was just leaking from the first injection sight.
Thankfully our vet is rabbit savvy. Yes she is on antibiotics and painkillers. She has an appointment tomorrow for the op if they decide to go ahead with it.

Back