• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites!

Nic.

Warren Scout
I haven't seen any but I suspect my rabbits have mites. I found out my hamster was crawling with them yesterday and they had been in the same room for a while :( No idea where they came from but I have treated hamster for them and want to do the same for the rabbits because they're scratching, even though I can't see anything yet. I've bought some Beaphar anti-parasite spot on but on the back it says not to use on sick or convalescing animals, my bunnies are fine but have both been sneezing alot recently and a few weeks ago Luna was treated for an upper respiratory infection so may be related to this. Do I use the treatment or wait? The whole lot have an appointment booked for Tuesday at the vets so hopefully I'll be able to stop their sneezing and build their immune systems up but I don't want to leave them with mites (if that's what they are)

I would wait until you have seen your Vet before using any treatment. Rabbits don't get mites very often, if at all so they may be clear. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll wait then. I just checked again and still can't see anything. They do seem to be scratching their ears more than normal but I'm not sure if i'm just being paranoid.

I would like to build up my rabbits' immune systems with echincaea before using mite treatment, if indeed it's indicated :)

Back