• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for rabbit mites

Twiglet

New Kit
Hi there
Wondered if anyone can help, I have Lottie a mini lop who had her front teeth removed due to malalignment and she is having problems with mites. She has lost her fur over the nape of her neck and down both her ears. She also has crusty dry skin around her eyes. I took her to my vet and he gave her frontline which was ineffective. I did some research and found that ivermectin spot on is an effective treatment which I used with success. During her treatment I kept her indoors as she is normally an outdoor bun however when I put her back in her hutch she started losing her fur again. I disinfected the hutch before returning her but I obviously didn't do a good enough job. I've bought her back indoors and have got some xeno 450 drops for her.

My questions are is having her teeth removed exacerbating her mite levels as she's not able to groom herself properly and can you give me any advice on what to clean the hutch with if there is anything I can get to eradicate them. Where she has lost her fur her skin looks sore although she doesn't seem bothered by it and is eating well. I treat her mate Benji as well so she's not getting them from him.

I wish now her teeth hadn't been removed and kept having her teeth trimmed. It was a different vet that removed her teeth.

I hope someone can help, will be much appreciated.

Jill

Hi there
Wondered if anyone can help, I have Lottie a mini lop who had her front teeth removed due to malalignment and she is having problems with mites. She has lost her fur over the nape of her neck and down both her ears. She also has crusty dry skin around her eyes. I took her to my vet and he gave her frontline which was ineffective. I did some research and found that ivermectin spot on is an effective treatment which I used with success. During her treatment I kept her indoors as she is normally an outdoor bun however when I put her back in her hutch she started losing her fur again. I disinfected the hutch before returning her but I obviously didn't do a good enough job. I've bought her back indoors and have got some xeno 450 drops for her.

My questions are is having her teeth removed exacerbating her mite levels as she's not able to groom herself properly and can you give me any advice on what to clean the hutch with if there is anything I can get to eradicate them. Where she has lost her fur her skin looks sore although she doesn't seem bothered by it and is eating well. I treat her mate Benji as well so she's not getting them from him.

I wish now her teeth hadn't been removed and kept having her teeth trimmed. It was a different vet that removed her teeth.

I hope someone can help, will be much appreciated.

Jill
Ps

It wasn't frontline it was Advantage spot on.

I believe you did the right thing by having her incisors out as it is very stressful for a bunny to keep having its teeth clipped. And I have a rabbit with no incisors but it doesn't affect her grooming. Is there something she is finding stressful in her hutch, as this is a big cause of mites. Is she spayed as Spring can be very stressful for a female rabbit which hasn't been neutered.?

Ivermectin is usually excellent. I am not sure about the other treatments - someone else may be able to help there and if you keep your hutch clean everyday and now the better weather (hopefully) is on its way, you can give it a good wash out with hot soapy water this should be sufficient.

Your bunny hasn't lost her fur on her neck by being mounted by another rabbit has she?

Thank you for your reply and reassurance. I don't think it's from being mounted by Benji as she has lost fur halfway down her ears as well as her neck. I will continue with the xeno 450 and give the hutch a deep clean. I will also groom her more often as she may not be able to do it properly not having front teeth. I noticed her bottom was a bit dirty today which is a sign she's not grooming herself properly so gave it a good clean for her, poor little Lottie.

Just an update on Lottie, she is getting better her skin is less inflamed and around her eyes look normal not dry and scaly. Her hair is growing back steadily on her ears. I've got to dose her again next week with xeno450. She is still being kept indoors having the run of the garden room in a dog cage at night. I've deep cleaned their hutch but want to change the roof from felt as I think the mites breed under the felt. I've also had problems last year with spider mites on my chickens on my allotment and removed the felt roof to a wooden one and seemed to do the trick. Thanks again for your advices..

Quite like having house rabbits!!!

Jill

Back