• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the catch?

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/large-6ft...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item4ad47b8d77

:? It does say it's an indoor hutch, so probably not built to be as strong as other hutches, but surely it would still be cheaper to buy this and make it suitable for outdoor use (i.e treating the wood and felting the roof) than buying an actual outdoor 6ft hutch? It says it's made of plywood, and if this wood is no good, then I can see why it's so cheap. It's difficult to tell what it's actually like just from a photo. Thoughts?

I have been looking for a 6ft hutch for my buns to be outside when I can't supervise, but didn't want to spend £150 + for a hutch that will only be used occasionally.

It's 6mm plywood which is thin and most likely not WBP (Weather and Boil Proof) so won't last long outside.

You'd need to felt the roof, adapt the roof so it's on a slope (currently looks flat so rain will just sit on it). You might need to remesh if you want it to be foxproof, as the mesh doesn't look too strong, but it's hard to tell. Obviously it needs to be treated as well if going to be outside. Also, if you look in the corner, it looks like there is a gap between the wall and the floor, so probably wouldn't be water-proof. You'd also need to set it on bricks as no legs. And it is only 45cm high, so too small for permanent use.

So basically, it will be a bit of a pain if you want to use it as a normal hutch, as you'd need to change a few things and I think it may let the rain in, but as just a run shelter it's a bargain.

I have no idea how high 45cm is. I thought it looked quite large, but obviously it isn't as big as the pic makes it look. I didn't notice the gap either. I figured it would be no good, but thought I'd ask. It'd probably make a half decent shelter for a playhouse/shed, though. *Sigh* back to hutch hunting then! There are loads of lovely hutches but they are all collection only and are absolutely miles away from me. :(

I think I'm going to have to pay the £165 for the one I saw the other day, and I would need to change the locks on the door.

I have no idea how high 45cm is. I thought it looked quite large, but obviously it isn't as big as the pic makes it look. I didn't notice the gap either. I figured it would be no good, but thought I'd ask. It'd probably make a half decent shelter for a playhouse/shed, though. *Sigh* back to hutch hunting then! There are loads of lovely hutches but they are all collection only and are absolutely miles away from me. :(

I think I'm going to have to pay the £165 for the one I saw the other day, and I would need to change the locks on the door.

It's about 1 and a half foot. I guess it depends what you want it for, really.

I had a quote for a two man delivery from me to Middlesbrough and it came out between £50-£60
I can do a 6ftx 2ft x2ft that will last you years and years for £140
Consider with delivery the hutch will cost you 55p per day for the first year.
If you was closer I would deliver to you myself.
You could ask some courier companies up your way and I would be happy to pack it carefully ready for collection.

Just to add it looks far too cheap and the wood seems rather thin, anything for outdoor use needs to be thicker than the the link above.

Ooh, I like that. The only thing is for £5 more I can get a two tier 6ft hutch from my local pet supplies place. I think it's 6ft, but I haven't actually measured it. I just think a two tier might be safer for them? Thank you for the link, I will certainly consider this. I wonder why it didn't come up when I searched for it!? :roll: Bloody ebay hates me. :lol:

Hutch Man. Thank you for the offer, but that's way more than I want to spend. :( I would seriously consider it, but as it's only going to be used during warm days, I don't want to spend tons on a hutch (really I didn't ant to spend more than £100 but I don't think that's possible). It's literally only going to be used for a few months and only during the day when it's nice. It seems a waste to pay so much for a beautiful hutch that is barely going to be used. I plan to store it in my garage or shed during the winter, which will certainly keep any cheaper hutch in better condition. I don't think I'd be able to get a courier any cheaper than that, tbh. I am miles away from you. :lol: I'm miles away from anywhere! :roll:

My main worry is that somebody might try to steal my bunnies. :roll: I know this is unlikely, but it's always a risk. I think I might padlock the hutch door and the run door. Is there anything else I can do to minimise the risk? I am awful for being paranoid. :lol: My buns live in my bedroom and are never left in the garden on their own because I'm so terrified of something happening to them. I want to get over this because my buns do really enjoy being out in the garden and it's a change of scenery for them. :) I feel awful when I have to go to work on a nice day and Fiver sits on the windowsill looking longingly into the garden. :(

Vegan bunny, if you are just going to be using it on warm days (I assume you'd check the weather so unlikely to rain), and they will have it inside a run or with a run attached, you don't even need a proper hutch. A cheap one, even a 4ft one, or a dog kennel, would be fine, as they'd have the run and it would only be as a temporary shelter. If you put a tarpaulin on top of part of the run, even something like this would be fine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Natu...9315115&sr=8-1&keywords=trixie+rabbit+shelter as it's just a precaution against the rain. They don't really need it for shelter or to protect them from the cold, and they won't be in it very long or locked in at all, so it doesn't need to meet the usual specs you would expect from a hutch.

Vegan bunny, if you are just going to be using it on warm days (I assume you'd check the weather so unlikely to rain), and they will have it inside a run or with a run attached, you don't even need a proper hutch. A cheap one, even a 4ft one, or a dog kennel, would be fine, as they'd have the run and it would only be as a temporary shelter. If you put a tarpaulin on top of part of the run, even something like this would be fine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Natu...9315115&sr=8-1&keywords=trixie+rabbit+shelter as it's just a precaution against the rain. They don't really need it for shelter or to protect them from the cold, and they won't be in it very long or locked in at all, so it doesn't need to meet the usual specs you would expect from a hutch.

That would be a brilliant idea, apart from the fact that my garden is often visited by foxes. :( I wanted a decent sized run so that my buns would have somewhere to hide, just in case Mr fox decides to visit. Generally the fox never comes in the garden during the day, but it doesn't mean it never will. I also highly doubt all three of my buns would fit into that hidey hole. :lol: I had the cheap 4ft hutch from P@H but they never went in it and usually spent their time sitting on or under it. :roll: I figured a more secure and larger hutch would mean they'd feel safe and they'd be more likely to use it. I have had the odd dog come into my garden, too, and so I do really need somewhere they can bolt to.

Originally I was going to use my old wendy house that Shadowfax lived in, but it's not practical because I can't move it about and where it's sitting now means it's impossible to attach a run to it. :(

That would be a brilliant idea, apart from the fact that my garden is often visited by foxes. :( I wanted a decent sized run so that my buns would have somewhere to hide, just in case Mr fox decides to visit. Generally the fox never comes in the garden during the day, but it doesn't mean it never will. I also highly doubt all three of my buns would fit into that hidey hole. :lol: I had the cheap 4ft hutch from P@H but they never went in it and usually spent their time sitting on or under it. :roll: I figured a more secure and larger hutch would mean they'd feel safe and they'd be more likely to use it. I have had the odd dog come into my garden, too, and so I do really need somewhere they can bolt to.

Originally I was going to use my old wendy house that Shadowfax lived in, but it's not practical because I can't move it about and where it's sitting now means it's impossible to attach a run to it. :(

Could you attach it using runaround? This would also mean that you could move the tunnel and run about. I think I also read that the runaround tunnels are too small for a fox to fit up, meaning if one did get into the run, they could bolt to the playhouse. It would set you back about £70 I think though.

Could you attach it using runaround? This would also mean that you could move the tunnel and run about. I think I also read that the runaround tunnels are too small for a fox to fit up, meaning if one did get into the run, they could bolt to the playhouse. It would set you back about £70 I think though.

I want to..but I seriously can't justify spending £70 for what is basically an irrigation pipe with an attachment. :lol: I nearly died when I saw the price because this was my first thought. That is only for a 4ft tube, too, and I'd need a lot longer than that. :evil: I wish I had money. :cry:

I want to..but I seriously can't justify spending £70 for what is basically an irrigation pipe with an attachment. :lol: I nearly died when I saw the price because this was my first thought. That is only for a 4ft tube, too, and I'd need a lot longer than that. :evil: I wish I had money. :cry:

I know, it is a lot, but it is also cheaper than a hutch. I had to take the plunge recently and get one, but I have to say it is good.

Welfare hutches ones are slightly cheaper: http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/-Pipe_Connectors/cat1466126_2174504.aspx

Back