• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are there any good, recently written, rabbit care books available?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Are there any?

I've just looked at the list in Rabbit Care Reference section (can't post on the thread for some reason) there's some really good books listed there (many of them I own) but the discussion is 9 years old. I'm looking into if there are any good all round care reference books written in the last year or two or if anyone knows of any in progress.

If there aren't any I'm wondering if times have changed and people use the internet for sourcing information now:?

So, basically, what I'm looking for, is if there is a book similar to 'Rabbit Health in the 21st Century' or 'Rabbitlopaedia' that has been written in last couple of years or so in that the medical advances/range of treatments etc has changed massively in the time (decade or so) since the above books were published. I'm also thinking that it's likely if there is such a book written recently, it's less likely to have large sections on breeding, showing, breed standards which seemed to be deemed a necessary part of animal care reference guides in the past (such as is the case with Rabbitlopaedia) and the 'perfect book' I have in my head is more rescue based philosophy.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I assume you mean a 'lay person' reference book rather than a Veterinary one ?

Yes, written for the lay person but my ideal book would be somehow a combination of Rabbit Health in 21st Century and Rabbitloaedia... so in that case either written by a vet or a very knowledgeable layperson.... I think I would have seen this ideal book talked about on here if it existed :?

I can't think of a general one that springs to mind, but there have been a few taking particular areas ag diet and covering them in detail.

I can't think of a general one that springs to mind, but there have been a few taking particular areas ag diet and covering them in detail.

Thanks. Having looked around I didn't think such a book existed. Though the diet, behaviour apsects have been covered and leaflets are available re accommodation sizes, companionship etc.

Someone needs to write one :D

It'd sell easily I'm sure now that people really do want to educate themselves more than they ever used to.

And not everybody wants to sit and read at a computer, but like me wants to be able to take a good rabbit book to bed.

Someone needs to write one :D

It'd sell easily I'm sure now that people really do want to educate themselves more than they ever used to.

And not everybody wants to sit and read at a computer, but like me wants to be able to take a good rabbit book to bed.

It shocked me how old some of those book are the more I looked into it. I totally agreewith what you are saying. It looks like such a book is due/overdue.

Last edited:
There are quite a few recently published ones on amazon, whether or not they are any good is another matter though.

I'd love to write one, and I think I could, but it would be the illustrations/photos that would let me down, as I don't have enough rabbits to take pictures of, and I don't have decent camera skills!

Last edited:
There are quite a few recently published ones on amazon, whether or not they are any good is another matter though.

I just had a quick browse on there, the first book I looked at the content of said that whether I was raising animals for pets or meat ... So I dismissed that one straight away, they will be writing from a completely different perspective to the one I have.

The second, looks like a kid's first pet guide says: “cuddly, quiet, full of personality, affordable…really cute and really soft,” not the sort of serious care book I seek going by that sentence!

I'm surprised the RSPCA haven't redone their basic care book which I'm sure sells a lot - it was published 2004.

It's very expensive to print full colour, on a short run the full colour slim 50 page ish guides would cost about £8 just for the printing. So it's tough to compete with the big publishers which produce those and they tend to have the worst content.

I'll pop it on my to do list ;)

Yay! Was going to suggest crowd sourcing one from here, but if there's one in the pipeline that would be amazing!
Could maybe kickstarter it to get payment upfront if that would help with cash flowing self-publishing costs?

Back