• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloat :(

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Last weekend Dylan (my lionhead) was really poorly.. i found him almost collapsed sunday morning, tried to syringe some water/food into him but no luck.. got him outside to try and encourage him to run about and possibly nibble on grass but he just fell over sideways. Took him to vets and got meds and powder food to give him and took him back end of day.. was no better, possibly worse so he was admitted for IV fluids, meds, Xrays overnight and the next day. Decided not to operate due to him being so flat and they could see pockets of gas so looked like things were moving. After 3 days he was finally back to his usual self (wednesday). Now this morning i've found his sister Daisy (fluffier lionhead) in a similar state!! She will run about a bit so thats a better sign than Dylan was but refusing all food or water.. have been sat massaging her tummy, feels a bit gassy, and tried syringing food and water but she doesnt move her mouth.. now waiting for vets to open so i can get her there for some pain relief and meds :( Don't know what to do :(

:cry:

I would not administer anything but water by mouth. If she has an obstructed bloat force feeding could make things much, much worse. I would get her onto a heat pad as systemic shock sets in very quickly in cases of acute bloat.

Do they both have access to grass daily ? I ask as at this time of year grass is very rich and it can cause problems for some Rabbits, even if they are grazing all year round. I had an almost fatal case of acute bloat here last week. The Rabbit is out on grass all year, but clearly the pasture is just too rich atm and I have had to cut it all right back and also restrict access to it.

Sending vibes for Daisy xx

no they don't go on grass all the time, they are in a summer house with lots of hay and dried grass all the time. I do let them in the garden if its a nice day and i'm at home, they spent quite a bit of time out there last weekend when Dylan was poorly in a hope it would help him to run about and nibble things, but not since wednesday.
They are both moulting loads.. when i brought Dylan home on wednesday there were loads of clumps of fur in the summerhouse later that evening and every day since.. not sure if Daisy is moulting heavily, or Dylan has been harrassing her or why there are lumps of fur everywhere. She is a big fluffy ball so highly likely to be the problem. Will try her with some more water.. vets open in an hour then i'll get her down there.

I'm sorry your rabbits are having gastric problems. I don't have that much to add so am posting a link to a page about gut issues in rabbits that I think is really good to read. http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

For gas, one of the things suggested on this page is simethicone- so maybe you can ask your vet if you should give simethicone, says it is very safe so sounds like it can't hurt and might help.
B. Simethicone

(liquid, pediatric suspension or tablets) is essential for the relief of gas pain which usually accompanies ileus. For relief of acute gas pain, 1-2 cc (20mg/ml suspension) can be given as often as every hour for three doses, then 1 cc every three to eight hours. This substance has no known drug interactions, is not absorbed through the intestinal lining and acts only on a mechanical principle: it changes the surface tension of the frothy gas bubbles in the gut, joining them into larger, easier-to-pass bubbles. Simethicone is practically inert, and is safe to give, even as a precaution, as long as it is not given long term. (Note: liquid suspensions of simethicone are relatively expensive. Less expensive versions, such as 125mg gel capsules are equally effective. A bunny can safely receive the contents of half a capsule at the rate described above.) A flatulent bunny is a happy bunny!

unfortunately she passed away.
I took her to the vets when they opened.. they checked heart and lungs, all normal... no sounds from gut/bowel. They gave her injections for gut motility and pain relief and advised i syringe feed her today and take her back end of surgery today or if she is taking this ok to go back in the morning to be re-assessed. Got home, let her out in the garden.. she ran up the garden then sat down so i put her back with Dylan in the summerhouse. Went in to sort out some syringe feed/water, went out about 10mins later and she was gone :( Soooo shocked.. can't believe it happened so fast.
Dylan still appears to be ok, although now on his own :(

I took her to the vets when they opened.. they checked heart and lungs, all normal... no sounds from gut/bowel. They gave her injections for gut motility and pain relief and advised i syringe feed her today and take her back end of surgery today or if she is taking this ok to go back in the morning to be re-assessed. Got home, let her out in the garden.. she ran up the garden then sat down so i put her back with Dylan in the summerhouse. Went in to sort out some syringe feed/water, went out about 10mins later and she was gone :( Soooo shocked.. can't believe it happened so fast.

I am so sorry :cry:

RIP Daisy xx

I am so sorry. You did all you could for her - sometimes we just can't save them.
RIP Daisy :(

I am so sorry to hear about Daisy :( Binky free little one xx

I am so very sorry. :cry: Please take comfort in knowing that you did all you could. Thinking of you and little Dylan. xx

Goodnight Daisy, sweet dreams little one xx

Back