• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny rubbish

countrybumkin

Warren Scout
Evening :)

I was wondering what everyone else does with the rubbish bunnies generate? My two have two under bed storage boxes as litter trays that get done everyday so I'm filling a peddle bin bag a day! I used to just put it in the black bin but the oh got a bit annoyed as we were filling it with just bunny stuff! I took the last 2 weeks to the tip today but I'm thinking of paying for the green bin collection?!

Just wondered what everyone else does?

Thank you :)

I have two huge compost bins, so some of it goes in those, mixed with veg waste and screwed up paper and cardboard. Rest goes in bags in black bin. I used to have to make a special trip to the tip periodically.

I pay for a garden waste bin which all the hay goes in, and newspaper/litter in black bin (we pay for another black bin)

I keep the newspaper separate to the hay
Newspaper ends up in black bin
For the hay - I put it on freecycle and a bloke comes to collect it every month for his garden

Ours goes straight in the black bin as well, there's more bunny rubbish in there than ours :lol:

We started composting ours but we must have done something wrong because a year on its not turning into compost and now the bin is full.

I put Molly's waste into black sacks and my OH takes it to the tip every weekend bless him.

We have to put it in a black bin because they only recycle plastic near my house. :evil: and we don't have garden waste bins.

We started composting ours but we must have done something wrong because a year on its not turning into compost and now the bin is full.

I put Molly's waste into black sacks and my OH takes it to the tip every weekend bless him.

Try turning it, will get some air in. Also we try to put some wetter things in too, ie, weeds, grass cuttings, kitchen waste (but not meat or anything cooked).

You need to put a variety of stuff in it. Too much hay and grass will make it too 'solid'. I made the mistake of putting into many grass cuttings so had to mix in torn up newspaper and cardboard as it went slimy. Try some screwed up newspaper mixed in, to give it some air; weeds and prunings, cut up small, will also help. Cut up your veg waste - so not huge lumps. You need to sort of layer it so you don't put too much of anything in one go.

With 6 guinea pigs and 4 rabbits the rubbish sacks soon accumulate and creates an unsightly mountain each week. Unfortunately we are only able to go to the recycle centre once a week. We end up with about 8/9 sacks each week.

I do put some of the hay waste into the green bin although that soon fills up as it's only taken every fortnight!

I really don't know what to do with waste :(

You need to put a variety of stuff in it. Too much hay and grass will make it too 'solid'. I made the mistake of putting into many grass cuttings so had to mix in torn up newspaper and cardboard as it went slimy. Try some screwed up newspaper mixed in, to give it some air; weeds and prunings, cut up small, will also help. Cut up your veg waste - so not huge lumps. You need to sort of layer it so you don't put too much of anything in one go.

Thank you. I will try this, actually, OH will try this!

With 5 bunnies mine accumulate quite fast - we burn ours, have a fire every few weeks but we do live in the middle of nowhere. Before I could burn it we used to use the garden bin for hay and normal bin for newspaper

Newspaper goes in the recycling bin, litter in the black bin and hay on the muck heap at the yard as we don't have a garden waste bin.

Our local organic veg growing place (5 mins away) takes ours including the newspaper. They are really glad to have it which is wonderful as eight rabbits and two guinea pigs make a fair old amount.

If I could have one, I would pay for the big green bin. It's something like £25 a year here which would be the best money I'd ever spent. Instead, we have to cart it down to the tip :roll:

Back