• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I put my rabbit down?

gbwms

Young Bun
Hello,
I haven't been on this forum for a while, but I really need some other opinions on this. My rabbit, Gilbert, is pretty old ( I'm pretty sure he is around twelve, but honestly, I've lost track ) and although he is eating and drinking normally, he can't stand up on his own at all, let alone hop. He just can't seem to keep his back legs up underneath him, and it's heartbreaking to see him go in circles trying to get up in his cage. I will usually prop him up against a rolled up towel in his cage so he can eat and drink standing up. As he can't stand up properly, he often soils himself, the fur on and around his tail. I have tried making a wheelchair for him which didn't work, but found another design I was going to try. However, as far as I can tell, he doesn't seem to be in any pain, and he still loves when I pet him, like he always has. Apples are still his absolute favorite. I just can't really tell if his suffering outnumbers the things he enjoys in his life right now, or if he is in any pain. I would pay to have him euthanized, but I don't have the money for expensive treatments that would just prolong his suffering, if he is truly suffering.
Anyway, I know this is pretty long, but I would really appreciate your opinion on what I should do. Thanks :cry:

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. It's so hard to know what to do for the best when our friends get old and their bodies start to fail them. Flora, my 10.5 year old bunny had a similar issue in that she kept falling over and couldn't get back up again. It stopped her wanting to leave the shed as she'd go down in the garden and be stuck until I rushed to help her up. I think it made her feel very, very vulnerable. Several times I'd open the shed door in the morning and she'd be down and it was impossible to know how long she'd been like that for. I even started to sleep in the shed with her :oops:. At this point, I could tell the distress was too much for her, coupled with a distinct drop in appetite, so I did the last thing I could do as an act of love :cry:.

That's Flora's story. Gilbert will be different but only you can decide whether you feel like he's distressed, vulnerable or just plain fed-up of his failing body. If you can still see SOME quality of life then perhaps the time is not yet right but if the quality times are outweighed by the bad times, then perhaps you need to question whether you're keeping him going for your own benefit rather than his. It's a tough call and my heart goes out to you.

It's a really tough one isn't it. Has your little one seen a vet? Before making any decisions I'd recommend getting a really good thorough going over with a competent vet, so that you can make an informed decision at that point - it could be something easily resolveable and not something requiring lengthy intervention.

If the vet thinks there isn't a lot that can be done, I must admit I'm erring towards it possibly nearing the end for your little one. Thinking about it realistically, how much time are you spending with him, fussing him, looking after him and feeding him? Then subtract that amount of time from a 24 hour day and think about what he does for the remainder of that time. It might help you to think about the balance of his quality of life.

For instance if you are with him constantly about 12 hours a day and he sleeps about 8 of the other 12, then on balance, he might still have some good quality of life, but if you're with him for 2 hours of the day, and he's on his own unable to move or do anything for the remaining 22, then he might not. Does that make sense?

It's always such a hard thing to have to think about isn't it. Big hugs xxx

Sorry to hear about your bunny. I agree with what has already been said but also if he is soiling himself he stands a very high chance of catching fly-strike, especially as the weather is warming up and the flies are appearing. This is apparently an awful way for a bunny to die and it would make you feel awful as well. If he is 12 he has had an amazingly long life. :)

It's a reall

y tough one isn't it. Has your little one seen a vet? Before making any decisions I'd recommend getting a really good thorough going over with a competent vet, so that you can make an informed decision at that point - it could be something easily resolveable and not something requiring lengthy intervention.

If the vet thinks there isn't a lot that can be done, I must admit I'm erring towards it possibly nearing the end for your little one. Thinking about it realistically, how much time are you spending with him, fussing him, looking after him and feeding him? Then subtract that amount of time from a 24 hour day and think about what he does for the remainder of that time. It might help you to think about the balance of his quality of life.

For instance if you are with him constantly about 12 hours a day and he sleeps about 8 of the other 12, then on balance, he might still have some good quality of life, but if you're with him for 2 hours of the day, and he's on his own unable to move or do anything for the remaining 22, then he might not. Does that make sense?

It's always such a hard thing to have to think about isn't it. Big hugs xxx

Couldn't have said it better myself. Also, if you are unsure, it may also be worth discussing with the vet about putting him on a high dose of metacam daily, which is a painkiller and anti-inflammatory, to see if that would give him back any motility. You would see quickly (within a week, maybe even a few days) whether they are making a difference or not.

Thank you all for your replies, I will try to make an appointment with the vet as soon as possible. I agree, he has had a very long, spoiled life :) It will be really hard to let him go, if that is the case. Will definetly be asking my vet's opinion. I have never heard of fly-strike, but it sounds horrible. That was something else that had me concerned, it will make it really tough for the little guy once the 90 degree weather comes in. Anyway, I will call the vet, and hope for the best! Thanks :)

I am so sorry that you are in this situation. The advice already given is excellent and I don't have anything to add to what's already been said.

My heart really does go out to you. I was in this position only last night and it is a horrible decision to have to make. Thinking of you. xx

I am so sorry that you are in this situation. The advice already given is excellent and I don't have anything to add to what's already been said.

My heart really does go out to you. I was in this position only last night and it is a horrible decision to have to make. Thinking of you. xx
Thank you so much for the encouragement. It makes it easier knowing there are people who care! I haven't taken him to the vet yet, but I'm guessing it's some sort of spinal injury, as when he lies down, his front legs will be to the right side of his body while his back legs are twisted over the the left. He is on my lap now and I was trying to see if he is in any pain. He will grind his teeth occasionally but that's also a sign of contentment, right? His eyes will also bug out more than usual when I pick him up, could this also be a sign of pain? He has also had more difficulty breathing lately so I guess I will, probably sooner than later, have to put him down. I just want to be sure :cry:

Back