• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big scary cat

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
Does anyone know a way to keep cats from coming into your garden? Our neighbour's cat is no problem, he comes and sits next to the bunnies (but he's so soft the birds don't even fly away from him :roll:)

Recently this huge black cat has been coming at pawing at the run section of the bun's enclosure - the bars are proper metal, not wire so it can't get in, but it's scaring them and causing them to thump. The nice cat's terrified of him and they nearly had a scrap today - I really don't want to have to take my neighbour's cat back to her injured!

My dad suggested spraying it with the hose (on the 'mist' setting, not full on so it would hurt him) but this seems cruel? I wouldn't by happy if someone squirted water at my buns! :evil:

I don't know whose it is or I would stick it in the carrier and take it round to their house!

Thanks guys :wave:

I posted a thread asking something very similar earlier this week - a few people suggested Foxwatch, which they have found worked on cats, but I think this was controversial! There is a Catwatch product which I am thinking of getting but it's quite expensive if it doesn't work!

I personally have no qualms about spraying water at cats - it won't hurt them, and they will run away so quickly it won't soak them through anyway. At the end of the day they are on your property (well it might not be "yours" but you know) and whilst I wouldn't hurt a cat - I love them - my priority is the health and safety of my bunnies! The only reason I haven't done this already with the cat that comes into our garden, is that it runs away so quickly when I go outside I don't get the chance :(

Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon and it will lose interest if it can't get at them.

You can get scented products for repelling cats or perhaps some citrus fruit on the outside where he's scratching?

I lost one of my bunnies in 2009 thanks to a cat scaring her in her run - she jumped away and injured her spine.

I would have no hesitation in spraying the cat with water - and it wouldn't be a mist either!! I love cats and have my own but a bit of water will not do him any harm.

I might start keeping the hose by the back door then lol. I was worried it would stress the cat out/hurt it but if it's just going to frighten it off I'll give it a go :thumb: It hasn't done any actual harm yet but it's a fearsome looking thing!

I lost one of my bunnies in 2009 thanks to a cat scaring her in her run - she jumped away and injured her spine.

I would have no hesitation in spraying the cat with water - and it wouldn't be a mist either!! I love cats and have my own but a bit of water will not do him any harm.

God that's awful :( What a shame. My outdoor two are constantly running around at top speed and diving on and off things - I forget how delicate they can be.

One of my bridge cats took a liking to my neighbours koi karp pond:shock: obviously my neighbour wasn't happy with Georgi 'fishing' although he didn't catch any.

I told my neighbour he could do what he wanted as long as Georgi could walk home......

A matter of days later my long haired adventurer returned home absolutely soaked from neck to tip of tail. He had slipped apparently when he heard my neighbour approaching.

He never went back.

One of my bridge cats took a liking to my neighbours koi karp pond:shock: obviously my neighbour wasn't happy with Georgi 'fishing' although he didn't catch any.

I told my neighbour he could do what he wanted as long as Georgi could walk home......

A matter of days later my long haired adventurer returned home absolutely soaked from neck to tip of tail. He had slipped apparently when he heard my neighbour approaching.

He never went back.

:lol: :lol: Oh dear.

I had to hiss out of my window at a cat today that was sat by my wildlife pond, it looked at me in complete shock and legged it across my garden. If my neighbours had seen me, they'd think I was even more crazy. :lol: I HATE the fact that people think it's ok to let their cats wander around and kill everything. My fish pond is covered in a net because of cats and last year a cat massacred all the baby dunnocks in my garden. :cry:

I used to let my dog out to chase the cats in my garden..but now I think the cats are more likely to chase my dog. :lol: The cats always came back despite having 2 balls of fury barking and chasing them out. Little *****. :evil:

Well the huge scary-looking cat has been back today and seems to have mellowed a bit! I think he's satisfied his curiosity with the bunnies as he's not really going near them now and they're not scared of him when he's on the other side of the garden. He sat on our patio and I even got to stroke him! :shock: :evil:

Hopefully he'll leave the little buns alone from now on (but the hose is still on standby in case he decides to start annoying them again!)

That's good to hear :) maybe he was just intrigued by them :)

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Back