• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wallace..making that difficult decision. UD Now at peace

Tracy

Warren Veteran
I think I am almost at the point where it's no longer right to keep Wally going. :cry:

He has pasteurella infection in his lungs. He relapsed again a couple of weeks ago so has been back on antibiotics. He did initially stabilise and seemed to be improving, but he has started to deteriorate over the last 2 days even though he is still on the antibiotics. His weight has dropped, he can eat very little before stopping to mouth breath. His lungs are so badly damaged, each time the infection becomes active again, his lungs get a little worse. I think his lungs are now too damaged for him to cope. :cry:

He does have occasional days when he's not so good, but I don't think this is just one of his off days.

There isn't much point to this post. There's nothing anyone can do. I just can't stop crying. I knew he would never get better and that the dreaded decision would always be just around the corner, but I feel like I'm standing at that corner now. :cry:

Last edited:
I'm sorry you are facing such a difficult decision. Personally, I think if a bun is having more bad days than good and quality of life is poor, it is kinder to let them go than to leave them struggling on. I had to do this with my last bun, who was old (11) and had a multiple of problems at the end. It was a horrid decision to make and broke my heart, but I knew the time had come to let him be free of pain and go to The Bridge. My vet says you know when the time has come, when you keep talking about it and you know the bun is heading in only one direction, I.e., down hill. I feel for you at such at difficult time and sending hugs. xx

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Never a more heartbreaking time than when we may need to make this most difficult decision. :(
Sending you comforting and strengthening hugs and vibes for you and Wallace. xxxx

I'm so sorry :(. I remember going through the same thing with Flora and if it helps, the thought of actually making the decision was worse than once I'd actually made the appointment. I did nothing but cry whilst I tied myself in knots trying to be brave. I cried whilst talking to the vet receptionist. But once I'd made that decision, I found a sort of peace within myself knowing I'd done the right thing. You feel like you're betraying their trust by even thinking of seeing the vet but you're not, however hard that is to comprehend at the time. They need you to be the strong one. The person who will do right by them when they are weary and need to be free of their failing body so that they can run free again.

My heart goes out to you at this difficult time. The healing power of RU will be here for you. Big hugs xx.

I think I am almost at the point where it's no longer right to keep Wally going. :cry:

He has pasteurella infection in his lungs. He relapsed again a couple of weeks ago so has been back on antibiotics. He did initially stabilise and seemed to be improving, but he has started to deteriorate over the last 2 days even though he is still on the antibiotics. His weight has dropped, he can eat very little before stopping to mouth breath. His lungs are so badly damaged, each time the infection becomes active again, his lungs get a little worse. I think his lungs are now too damaged for him to cope. :cry:

He does have occasional days when he's not so good, but I don't think this is just one of his off days.

There isn't much point to this post. There's nothing anyone can do. I just can't stop crying. I knew he would never get better and that the dreaded decision would always be just around the corner, but I feel like I'm standing at that corner now. :cry:

Im sorry Wallace is deteriorating and your having to make that horrible decision, but you will know hun when its time,my Toffee had pastorella and his lungs were full of abscesses towards the end,obviously i didnt want him to suffer and i didnt want him to get to the point were he stopped eating cos he would have been in pain,so i just watched him really closely and in the end he told me he had had enough,he would have good days and i would think hes doing but ultimately even with 20 mg of tramadol a day he was having more bad than good,goodluck i hope you still got many more good times with Wallace x

I'm sorry that you've to face this difficult decision....wishing you all the best making the most difficult decision ever....

Fee xxxx

Wallace is now at peace. He was put to sleep this evening. I am heartbroken, but I know it was the right decision for him.

I will post a tribute to my brave and beautiful boy in RB when I feel up to it.

Thank you for all your kind words xx

I am so sorry, I know how much you loved him from your previous posts about him.
I am so glad he had you to care for him. He was gorgeous xx

I'm so sorry :cry: you did the right thing, and he knows how much you loved him.

Binky free and RIP Wallace xxxxx:cry:

I'm so sorry. It certainly sounds like you did the right thing, and I hope that you can find some comfort in that.

Binky free Wallace xx

Back