• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pooping during GI statis?

My poor bunny Bramble is suffering from GI statis and it is the first time I experienced a rabbit with this. I noticed yesterday morning that my bunny seemed a bit off colour and would not take a piece of dried banana but took a dandelion leaf so I made a appointment at the vet for him on the same morning where he was given four injections two were to help his digestion one was a pain killer and one was a anti-biotic he then nibbled at little bits of hay and dandelion leaves and had quite a few poos late at night. I took a day off work today in order to take care of him and we took him to the vets again at 9 am where he received the same injections as last time but with an extra pain killer and I also bought him some critical care food which I have been syringe feeding him because athough after the vets he had some small nibbles of hay he has not eaten or drank anything else. I think he has had about 50mls+ of critical care and 20mls+ of water but he still hasn't had a poo? is this normal for a bunny suffering from GI statis as when he seemed to be acting more poorly last night he pooed more than he did today?
I'm taking him to the vets again at quater past 5 where he may have to be admitted but I really do not know what to do? I think it may be related to the tooth removal operation that he had a week ago could this be possible?
Thanks for your help

My poor bunny Bramble is suffering from GI statis and it is the first time I experienced a rabbit with this. I noticed yesterday morning that my bunny seemed a bit off colour and would not take a piece of dried banana but took a dandelion leaf so I made a appointment at the vet for him on the same morning where he was given four injections two were to help his digestion one was a pain killer and one was a anti-biotic he then nibbled at little bits of hay and dandelion leaves and had quite a few poos late at night. I took a day off work today in order to take care of him and we took him to the vets again at 9 am where he received the same injections as last time but with an extra pain killer and I also bought him some critical care food which I have been syringe feeding him because athough after the vets he had some small nibbles of hay he has not eaten or drank anything else. I think he has had about 50mls+ of critical care and 20mls+ of water but he still hasn't had a poo? is this normal for a bunny suffering from GI statis as when he seemed to be acting more poorly last night he pooed more than he did today?
I'm taking him to the vets again at quater past 5 where he may have to be admitted but I really do not know what to do? I think it may be related to the tooth removal operation that he had a week ago could this be possible?
Thanks for your help

I would say that it is almost certain that the two are related. Do you know what the 'extra pain killer' he was given was called

I'm afraid I don't know what the painkiller was called. He is currently sitting in his house having a nap I saw him lying down properly before which confused me as if he was in pain he wouldn't relax in that position? Its been getting harder to pick him up through out the day to feed him as he is getting his own character back but he still hasn't pooped?

I'm afraid I don't know what the painkiller was called. He is currently sitting in his house having a nap I saw him lying down properly before which confused me as if he was in pain he wouldn't relax in that position? Its been getting harder to pick him up through out the day to feed him as he is getting his own character back but he still hasn't pooped?

He will probably need ongoing treatment for several days. His intake of food is minimal, so it is not surprising that he has not passed any fecal pellets today. His gut motility is very poor and being made more so by having very little going in. The Vet may want to admit him for more intensive care. I hope he starts to improve soon.

You're probably at the vets by now but just wanted to say that sometimes with GI stasis giving "at-home" care is not enough and they need to be admitted for more intensive care including intravenous fluids. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Been back from the vets for a couple of hours he got given some more medicine which seems to be working because he has eaten several dandelion's (he even ate the flower part which he never does) small amount of cabbage which I don't think was the best thing to give him but it started him eating and he is currently been munching away at some hay :D he still hasn't pooped yet but I was told that it may take a couple of days as although his digestion is very slow it has not stopped and my rabbit savvy vet says she doesn't think their is a blockage which I am very relived about. She didn't want to admit him as he has improved and is continuing to improving and we are having another appointment at 9 am tomorrow morning to check his progress and to top up his medicine. Overall I'm feeling hopeful for my little boy <3 I'm sleeping down stairs with an alarm clock to wake me up so I can continue to syringe feed him if he needs it.

This is so great to hear :)

I am currently going through a similar situation with my rabbit Dillon after he had hes teeth filed down a month ago .... he is still not right - he goes up and down and up and down! recently hes been on the up but this morning has decided to not eat again so weve syringe fed him! do u think with GI stasis it takes a while to recover? our bunny is only just pooing a bit bigger again but has just been sleeping today :(
hope your bunny continues on the up! xxxx

Back