• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sad News about Milly

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Milly passed away last night due to a massive GI stasis attack. We did everything we could for her and she had all the treatment but she just couldn't recover from it. She was 6 years old and had a great life, sunbathing and lounging around. She was pretty healthy throughout her life with the occasional dental in the last year of her life. She died in my arms at home peacefully.

It was extremely sudden. Molly spent the night with her and now Milly has gone to be cremated. Molly is eating some food but is very quiet. I'm keeping a very close eye on her to make sure she doesn't stop eating and go into stasis.

I know it's extremely early to think about it, but how soon should we look for another rabbit for Molly? They were sisters so she's never been alone in her life. I want to allow her to grieve but I also want to prevent loneliness.

RIP Milly xxxx Little angel

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

I would see how Molly copes over the Bank Holiday Weekend and then maybe start to look at finding her a friend. Some Rabbits will accept a new friend very quickly, some can take much, much longer.

RIP Milly xx

I'm so very sorry LionheadLuver :(

I've always adored and loved seeing photos of your two elegant gorgeous Rex girlies :love:

Milly and Molly are one of my favorite RU pair - I just love the Rex breed.

I would monitor how Molly copes over the bank holiday weekend and then make a decision to allow yourself to get over the initial shock of it all. When my Bella died last year and we had to find Pickle a new friend - we had a bit of a dilemma. At the time Cottontails didn't have any single spayed females for match up so in the end we had to reserve an unspayed female which would of then had to go back for her neutering run (if her hormones allowed her to bond with Pickle anyway) so this wasn't very ideal. However 2 days before we were due to take Pickle along - Pixie (previously Lola) was returned after a bond breakdown and as she was already spayed it was just meant to be. Pickle unfortunately was alone for 12 days. It was awful seeing him so depressed. Bonding helped me to keep distracted from grief.

Binky free Milly xx

I'm so sorry about Milly :(

If it were me, I would leave it a few days and see how Molly feels. I know it sounds odd, but not all rabbits want a partner immediately. They sometimes like a little time to 'shine' on their own, if that makes sense.

Thank you for your kind words. Molly is eating but seems quiet. She's definitely missing Milly. I think I'll look for a new partner for her next week.

I'm bringing her in at night because it's freezing and she's used to the body heat of another rabbit. As the daytime temperatures aren't too different to room temperature, will this be ok to continue for the time being? I know it's not normally recommended but I don't want her to be outside at night on her own.

I'm so sorry for your loss :cry: there seems to have been quite a few of us losing buns this week :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that you've lost Milly, I remember when you first got them, doesn't time fly! Big hugs, hope Molly is doing ok xxx

Thank you. Molly is doing well, better than I expected. She's eating pretty well, slower than usual but I suppose she has no competition for food now so can graze all day. Her poops are small so I'll keep a close eye on her to make sure she doesn't go into stasis. I think I'll keep bringing her inside at night until she gets a friend because I think she'll be worried at night on her own.

So, so sorry for your loss :(

I would do the same with Molly and bring her indoors rather than leave her alone.

Hugs for you and Molly xxxx

Binky free Milly xxxxxxi

I'm really sorry to hear this, binky free Milly xxx

I would probably do the same at night, in theory by the time Molly has a new friend the nights should be warmer so it shouldn't have a negative effect.

Back