• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Something was calling outside tonight

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I went out to investigate and it was on the top of next doors fence. I thought it was a rabbit screaming but it wasn't. I never saw it, I heard it move.

I'm terrified it was a fox. However, it was like none of the fox sounds I've heard before (sat here googling now too). It sounded very much like a high pitched screaming cat. We do have a new cat in the area who is winding our cat up, but I've never heard a cat make this noise before.

I don't know what it was.

I'm very panicked right now.

This is the most similar noise I can find- the tabby towards the end.

To me, all fox calls are obviously from a fox because you can hear it in the 'voice'. This was like an ongoing high pitched wailing screamy thing. More like the cat. Our neest neighbourhood cat does like our garden, does not like our cat and appears to be unneutered. It's a solid heavy thing so it could have made the noise it did when it ran. It also allowed me to get relatively close (I was trying to track the noise). I'm thinking a fox likely wouldn't?

(I know I'm burbling to myself- this is scary stuff when you have six precious bunnies outside).

Hmm that is strange.
As you say, I wouldn't expect a fox to allow you to investigate. Unless it is very brazen, they would generally run at the first sign or sound of movement, particularly human movement.

Chances are it was a cat. Did it unsettle your buns? I'm thinking they would.be very distressed at the scent, or sound of a fox?

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

I think I've found it. I think it was a female mating call of a cat/on heat.

Nope, they weren't unsettled by the noise. They were all listening though, they were more panicked by me.

Thanks for repying :D It's very lonely on here this time of night/morning :D I can go back to bed now.

Oh goodness, female cats in heat cause all sorts of troubles when they are allowed to roam :roll:

I love how we all get more worked up than the bunnies :lol:

It really is lonely on here at night :lol: i knew I shouldn't have slept earlier :evil:

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

I've never heard it before. I guess if makes sense this cat did spray in our garden a few days ago so very possible. Freaky noise though.

And yeh :p ain't that the truth.

Good luck with your lonely RU night. I hope you get some sleep later. I'm going to try and get a bit more sleep.thanks :)

Back