• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plastic hutch cleaning

Snowy's Mum

Young Bun
I was cleaning out plastic hutches today and I realised there was a build up of a sort of hardened residue in the corners. I'm assuming it's to do with the rabbit's urine despite the fact that the hutches have soiled wood shavings removed and replaced every day and a good clean out/disinfect weekly. I have had wooden hutches for my own rabbits for many years and have never had this problem. I was just wondering if anyone else had come across this problem with plastic hutches and if there's an "easy" way to get rid of this residue - I soaked it and used a stripping knife to try and scrape it out, but didn't make much headway.

White vinegar & hot water, this is what I use in the litter trays and it works very well.

Oh thank you, Bumbling, I'll give that a try next week :) I really don't like the plastic hutches - these ones are inside so there isn't the problem of them overheating in hot/sunny weather, but if the rabbits dig and scratch the surface of the plastic it leaves little grooves which are so hard to clean properly. At least wood can be sanded down. Thanks for answering:thumb:

Back