• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

thumper has passed away

janetmarley

Young Bun
One of my bonded rabbits has suddenly passed away wee thumper my male this leaves the wee female pepper on her own I am worried about her and am wondering if I should get her a pal and how soon , I am taking thumpers to the vet for a post mortem as he was fine this morning and ate his breakfast any advice for pepper would be greatly appreciated thank you Janet

I am very sorry you lost Thumper. Was he vaccinated? Getting a PM done will hopefully give you some answers.

All bunnies are different when it comes to grief. My boy, Fiver, was distraught after he lost his wife and I had to get him another friend quite soon after we lost her. Make sure your Pepper isn't showing signs of depression/loneliness. Usually if a bun is struggling over the loss of their partner they will decrease their eating, lose interest in their toys, become less active than usual, crave attention from other animals/humans, become destructive etc. These can be signs of an illness, too, so it's always best to have the vet check them out should you see any of these symptoms so you can rule out something medical.

Some buns seem to cope perfectly fine, especially if they've been able to see the body of their partner. This means they can accept what has happened and understand where they have gone and that they aren't coming back. In this case, I would wait until YOU are ready for a new bun before looking for another friend for Pepper.

Yes thumper was vaccinated and had a health check a few months ago and was fine hopefully vet will be able to let us know what happened although they have told us that sometimes with rabbits they dont have an answer Janet

I'm so sorry to hear about Thumper.

In my experience, rabbits usually have a few quiet days after they lose their bonded partner. I've always found them a new rescue friend pretty soon after those first few days/weeks as it soon becomes clear they're missing the company. But each bunny is different so you really need to play it by ear.

So sorry :(
Ive been in this position many times and each time Ive ended up putting my own grief aside and getting a friend for the greiving bunny.
Each case is different and as someone has already said.... you can only play it by ear xx

Yes thumper was vaccinated and had a health check a few months ago and was fine hopefully vet will be able to let us know what happened although they have told us that sometimes with rabbits they dont have an answer Janet

That's good. That means you can rule out VHD, which is obviously something to worry about with Pepper. I hope you get some answers form the PM.

Sending Pepper some nose rubs. x

I'm so sorry to hear this. I lost my young bunny suddenly in the early hours of Tuesday morning in what sounds like similar circumstances. Sending hugs xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back