• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do they have enough space?

Nkwilkins

Young Bun
My 2 rabbits have a 2 story hutch which is 120(W) x 140(h) x 65(D) cm and a run joined onto it that is 1.44m(L)x 1.12m(W)x.6m(D) that they have 24 hour access too but i also let them out in the days to run around the garden. Some days i cant let them out if i'm not there though and feel bad leaving them in the hutch and run.
do they have enough space in the hutch and the run when i dont let them out?

From the RWAF website
''The RWAF recommends a minimum hutch size of 6' x 2' x 2', which allows rabbits some room to move, stand on their hind legs and enough space for the food, toilet and sleeping areas to be kept apart. It is commonly accepted that a rabbit should have space for 3 hops, but it is commonly underestimated just how far 3 hops is - our tests show that 3 hops from an average sized rabbit covers 6-7 feet!
A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'.
Please bear in mind that these recommendations are all minimums - and like many things in life, bigger is better!''

:thumb:

So looks like what you have is about right, though I wouldn't trust my metric/imperial conversions!! Might be worth looking online or browsing the forum for other safe space solutions for your buns too :)

I think this means your hutch is only 4ft wide and the run is is only 5ft long - so neither is the recommended size.

I may have my maths wrong, though, so worth checking my figures.

My 2 rabbits have a 2 story hutch which is 120(W) x 140(h) x 65(D) cm and a run joined onto it that is 1.44m(L)x 1.12m(W)x.6m(D) that they have 24 hour access too but i also let them out in the days to run around the garden. Some days i cant let them out if i'm not there though and feel bad leaving them in the hutch and run.
do they have enough space in the hutch and the run when i dont let them out?

That works out as a 4ft by 2ft double storey hutch with a 5ft by 3.5ft run

So I'm sorry but that is not big enough at all :( You need to try and be aiming for 44+ sq ft and at the moment you have about 14 for the hutch (taking away ramp space) and 16 for the run. Ideally the hutch would be on one level too, so a single storey 6ft is better than a double storey 4ft.

My dad does a lot of woodwork, how easy would it be to make a run using wood and chicken wire?

I'm sure it would be quite easy to make a new run if you Dad does woodwork. You will need to use strong welded mesh rather than chicken wire though, as chicken wire isn't strong enough to keep predators out and bunnies in!

For the run I would suggest the bigger the better, but 8ftx4ft and preferably 3ft high. Maybe he could convert the existing run as well to become more like part of your hutch to give the bunnies more of a sheltered area?

For the run I would suggest the bigger the better, but 8ftx4ft and preferably 3ft high. Maybe he could convert the existing run as well to become more like part of your hutch to give the bunnies more of a sheltered area?

Having a new run built next week, it will be 2.4m x 1.2m and 80cm high, which roughly works out to 8ftx4ft and 3ft high give or take a few cm's.
I think we're going to include the old run as well so they will have their hutch, the new run and the old run. Not sure whether we are going to attach them as one big space or have the old run near it and have a tunnel running between the two.

Having a new run built next week, it will be 2.4m x 1.2m and 80cm high, which roughly works out to 8ftx4ft and 3ft high give or take a few cm's.
I think we're going to include the old run as well so they will have their hutch, the new run and the old run. Not sure whether we are going to attach them as one big space or have the old run near it and have a tunnel running between the two.

That sounds really good!

Back