• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Freedom vs Frustration

dumblepaws

Mama Doe
I recently made an exetension to Waffles/DP's run which is useable only when they're fully supervised but gives them more space

Wondering if giving them irregular, infrequent additional space/free ranging is good for them (as they get to run further and faster) or bad for them, as it gets them used to a larger space so they're more frustrated when they're back in their normal enclosure and don't understand why they can't have more space all the time

Any thoughts please

thanks

I think it's best to give them extra space when you can, no question :thumb:
I do know what you're saying, but as long as they have a decent space when they're shut home they should be fine.

Should be - but before I tried giving them extra space they were fine and never tried to hop out of their enclosure

Now every time I open the door they try and escape and are confused that they can't go out

And they've started chewing their platforms which they didn't do before

So I've found them more wood and keep moving them away from the door when I get their waterbowls etc but maybe if I didn't let them out again they'd go back to normal

But they looked so happy in the bigger space so I don't think I could do that. And they've had the experience anyway so maybe I can't undo it

Bah. Stupid bunny scared the life out of me last night. Due to rubbish weather, we'd not managed to let them have the run extension for about a month, and they were really good and knew they were allowed to put their heads out to nibble clover when the door was open, but no paws.
I let them play in the extension for about four hours yesterday whilst I read some back issues of rabbiting on and played with them when they wanted, and then put them back in the normal enclosure, and dismantled the extension (so they could have their secure roof back).
When i went to change their water bowl, both of them made a dash for it - caught DP, but Waffles was the other end of the garden.
I'm just so so glad she's my bunny, and didn't run away from me, as the garden isn't bunny proof and she could easily have got into the one behind and it took only a few seconds and one attempt to catch her (didn't even need to bribe her with food) but it could have ended so differently
I can't stop giving them extra space when i can, but i do need to get the garden bunny proofed

BmJ4_w6IYAAkxIc.jpg:large

Back