• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I convince my parents to let me have a bunny?

Millz777

Young Bun
Hello

I have really wanted a bunny for quite a while now but my parents don't think it's a good idea. Last month my mum said yes but now has changed her mind to no!  she says we can't because we have family that live in Norfolk (we live in Yorkshire) that we visit a lot and what would we do with the bunny! We don't know many people around here so can't really get anyone to feed the bunny! Also we go skiing one or twice a year and I suggested bunny boarding but she said it would be expense! I said I would pay for it! My dad doesn't think I would look after it and thinks he would end up doing it all!! I wish I could show him I would!! We also have 2 dogs! But the bunny would be on the top floor of a three floor house!

I have done lots of research on rabbits and I like dwarf rabbits! I like the mini lop and the holland lop, but as a first time rabbit owner I am not sure what is best! I want a dwarf because their small! Apparently the Netherland dwarfs can be very aggressive! (Is this true?) I really need some advice on everything!

Thanks to anyone that can help!

Have you thought about getting in touch with a local rescue centre? They could talk to you about individual rabbits they have in and they'll come to your home to make sure everything's all right and give you any tips on how to make it the best possible home for bunnies. They'll also be able to give you lots of information about rabbits as pets to help you and your parents decide whether rabbits would be a good fit for your family.

Rabbits are a big responsibility, they live a long time and can be very expensive to look after so it's really important that your parents want a pair of rabbits as much as you do. They'll probably be paying most of the costs and may end up looking after the rabbit if you leave to go to university or rent your own home so it's important that you bear that in mind when talking to them about it. It will show them that you're mature and thinking about it seriously if they can see you're considering the decision carefully and thinking about how it will affect them as well.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure holland lops are just what mini lops are called in the US :wave:

I'm not sure how old you are, but I think, from what you have said, if you really want rabbits you will have to show your parents that you will take responsibility for them - both for their care and financially.

Have a look at this link that explains the cost of rabbits. Remember you will need two rabbits, as they must be kept in pairs. I think, if you can demonstrate to your parents how you would be able to pay for their ongoing care, you will probably have them on-board a bit more. http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/rabbit_costs.asp

I'd also think about what you would do when you go on holiday, and show your parents your plan for this, and how you would pay for it.

We also have a thread on the forum that may help you plan for the expenses. A group of us have been listing what we are spending on the rabbits, and on what: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...w-much-do-you-spend-on-your-rabbits-challenge

They're a really big responsibility so I would spend a while on the forum and learning everything before you buy, you can learn an awful lot from this forum!
And I also personally dont think netherland dwarfs are aggressive, I have two netherland dwarf crossed with mini lop buns and they're sweet as pie!
But thats my opinion, if you get talking to a rescue they can reccomened a breed to you as a first time rabbit owner.
You need to prove to your parent's you're responsible, but you also need to make sure you can support a pair of rabbits
They're a long term commitment and can get pretty expensive!
Best of luck!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure holland lops are just what mini lops are called in the US :wave:

I'm not sure how old you are, but I think, from what you have said, if you really want rabbits you will have to show your parents that you will take responsibility for them - both for their care and financially.

Have a look at this link that explains the cost of rabbits. Remember you will need two rabbits, as they must be kept in pairs. I think, if you can demonstrate to your parents how you would be able to pay for their ongoing care, you will probably have them on-board a bit more. http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/rabbit_costs.asp

I'd also think about what you would do when you go on holiday, and show your parents your plan for this, and how you would pay for it.

We also have a thread on the forum that may help you plan for the expenses. A group of us have been listing what we are spending on the rabbits, and on what: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...w-much-do-you-spend-on-your-rabbits-challenge

I thought Hollands were another name for nethies you know with holland being the Netherlands?
All the bloomin names confuse me. :S :lol:
Like mini lop dwarf lop throw rews and rexes in and I'm well and truely stumped. :lol:

see what places near you board bunnies and which one would be best, then see how much it would cost. If you have real figures for the cost of things then that might help convince your parents. Really vet bills are the only big expense (but you can get insurance), especially since you're going to have them indoors as outdoor accommodation can be expensive.

seriously, don't do this at all.

read through the r u site and you will see why.

Why?

need a pair rather than one, too expensive (including food and vet bills), too fragile, too prone to health problems, a commitment that might be fifteen years or more, not cuddly, totally unsuitable animal for a child, ridiculous responsibility to place upon parents at the whim of a child, can't be left, need consideration at all times, need accommodation far more expensive and spacious than people at first consider, need proper holiday accommodation when families are away, need a lot of cleaning and attention, very destructive, often a cause of friction between children/adult children living at home and their parents....

i could go on.

get a hamster. a big hairy syrian hamster will make you happy. look at threads about 'little nell' or 'elsie tanner'. much better. lives for three years, costs nothing to keep (might be vet bills) , easy to dump on friends/family/neighbours when you're off on holiday.

need a pair rather than one, too expensive (including food and vet bills), too fragile, too prone to health problems, a commitment that might be fifteen years or more, not cuddly, totally unsuitable animal for a child, ridiculous responsibility to place upon parents at the whim of a child, can't be left, need consideration at all times, need accommodation far more expensive and spacious than people at first consider, need proper holiday accommodation when families are away, need a lot of cleaning and attention, very destructive, often a cause of friction between children/adult children living at home and their parents....

i could go on.

get a hamster. a big hairy syrian hamster will make you happy. look at threads about 'little nell' or 'elsie tanner'. much better. lives for three years, costs nothing to keep (might be vet bills) , easy to dump on friends/family/neighbours when you're off on holiday.

Haha I agree with all this! Rabbits are TERRIBLE pets!! :thumb:

I'm no expert and have relied a lot on the advice of those here on RU. But all I can say is I own two mini lop rabbits (Milo and Finnlay) and you simply MUST be prepared for everything. My rabbits cost me £18 a month (for both and soon to go up to £20) for my insurance for vet fees. They cost me £40 each to get their first vaccinations the other week and then boosters will probably be around the £25-30 mark and I have to get these once a year.

Also there are costs for housing, remember a hutch or cage is not enough, a rabbit needs plenty of space. My utility currently has a double hutch in it and a run attached and will soon be getting converted so that the rabbits basically have a whole section of the room to themselves. Then there is food (pellet), hay, bedding, toys, litter trays etc. Can you afford all of these things? It is no good having a rabbit if you cannot protect it properly with insurance and vaccinations and provide proper care? Longer haired rabbits such as mini lops also require regular grooming and it is a must that you spend time with them each day. Can you manage all of this?

There are a lot of things to consider. Rabbit boarding is OK I guess just personally I feel that I wouldn't want to put my bunnies through the stress of a strange place if I was to go away a lot. Rabbits are easily stressed. Also you will probably need TWO rabbits rather than one, rabbits are social and will need company. Which obviously doubles the cost.

If I have missed anything i'm sure my fellow RUers will pitch in. ;)

As others have said rabbits can be very expensive pets to keep with regards to vet bills and initial accommodation set up, although it seems yours would be in the house. With regards vet bills, to give you an idea I have spent in the region of £800 at the vet just in the last 6 months for just one of my rabbits, I am picking her up again from the vet today and expect a bill in the region of £300. Some of this has been covered by insurance which I also pay for monthly.

I can understand your parents POV because rabbits are a considerable tie and if you go away a lot it might not be a good idea as it's very disruptive to them. We have just been away for 10 days and paid £117 for them to go to a good bunny boarding place.

I don't know your situation or how old you are but if you have your own income you will have a better chance of persuading your parents.

Im going to be truly honest, even though i love my bunny very much, i am seriously considering not having another after the inevitable of her passing away. Bunnies are bred animals, and so due to this genetic indiversity their appearances have been given more priority rather than their genetic health!! They may look healthy when you get them, but a huge percentage of rabbits will have dental issues. Due to this reason, quite a few insurers wont cover this cause otherwise how would these companies make money!!! They know the ridiculous cost of them!!

I have a very sensitive bunny, she used to be fine indoors, but now she is getting older, she seems to prefer more visits outside, this means many hours supervising her in the garden, as she prefers now grazing herself than eating from a hay rack inside. So this means she barely eats anything if its raining or any other reason she cant be outside.

I am at the vets constantly with bunny as they are so fragile, the cost is literally causing me much stress in the household, as well as the stress of bunny being unwell herself.

Next time, im just going to live in an area full of wild rabbits, so then can watch them but then not my heart aching responsibility. Sorry to be so brutally honest, but rabbits are not easy pets if you are a good owner, hence why so many rabbits are actually neglected in the uk (ie. Rabbit bottom of garden i a hutch.........neglect ).

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

I also think that you need to consider that some bunnies do not cope well with stress, so the idea of them going into boarding several times a year (presuming that they will go for both your holidays and family visits) could be problematic. You would need to make sure that there was a good boarder in your area, see how much they charged and if you could afford it, and also make sure that they had indoor accommodation because if your bunnies will be indoor buns you can't put them in a hutch outside for the week if you're going to go away when it's cold.

One of my rabbits would get so stressed by vet trips and changes that it could lead to her having bouts of stasis. I have no doubt that if she'd gone into a boarding place then it probably would have given her stasis. Luckily there was always someone at home when I was away to look after her, but if you don't have this option, then you would be a bit stuck. Rabbits aren't really like cats in that you can just get someone in to feed them twice a day when you're away. If they get ill the symptoms are subtle and the person looking after them could easily miss them.

Haha I agree with all this! Rabbits are TERRIBLE pets!! :thumb:

all four of mine. awful little devils!

shush! all those things I said are true. you need to be grown up to be a rabbit owner, they aren't easy!

like sunni, I won't be having any more rabbits. and that's as telling as anything could be. no more. for good reasons.

I agree with the above and they are definitely complicated pets

I think if you're away a lot you'd need a good solution for the bunnies care during that time, and aback up plan. Also travel and new places stresses bunnies so moving. Lot would be bad.

I think the best idea would be to get some hands-on experience of bunny care by volunteering at your local rescue or sanctuary.

This will give you the opportunity to see the care involved, but also help show your parents that you are being considerate and responsible.

I've got a single house rabbit and he's wonderful.

However, I'm not sure your situation sounds entirely suitable for a single house rabbit.

For a start, you are a single bunny's only companionship. I really only think it's acceptable to have a single bunny if you are at home with the bunny nearly every hour of the day/night. In my house I'm lucky as if I want to go out for more than an hour or so other family members are happy to watch TV or play on my computer so that they're with him. You need to consider if you are in all honesty likely to be able to give this level of companionship to a rabbit for possibly ten years? If not, you need a pair.

Secondly, you need to consider vets bills and if you go for insurance, insurance costs. Ludo has cost £500 in about 18 months in vets bills alone, so that's excluding hay and food etc. He is also very prone to getting poorly and it's quite a commitment to make sure his routine is correct.

Thirdly, rabbits are messy pets, even if you keep them tidy! Hay will get everywhere. It will tread down the stairs and get stuck to your clothes. Will this anger the rest of the household?

Finally, I won't go on holiday if my family are on holiday. Rabbit boarding is of course an option but it is pricey and stresses out your bunny. Ludo is terrified of leaving the house, so there's no way I could leave him.

I love having a bunny and will definitely get more in the future, but if I'm honest your situation doesn't sound ideal. :wave:

Hi,
My parents took 21 years to agree for me to get a bunny :lol:
Looking back I'm glad they did as I appreciated the responsibilities more.
My life changed when I got my rabbit. I had to make sure that he had everything he needed. If my friends wanted to go away for the weekend I had to make sure there was someone I trusted to look after him or just not go. Even now my parents and I never usually go away at the same time as they are my cheif borders.
Don't get me wrong rabbits are great however make sure you do all your research to know exactly what you are taking on.

I had bunnies as a teenager but they were very much family pets and we decided as a family that we would get them. I could not have had them without my parents being fully involved and paying for them as Schumi was dental and had to go to the vets very regularly, which was really expensive. He wasn't insured as we didn't know about insurance until after he had been diagnosed with issues.

My rabbits both lived until they were 11, long after I had been to uni and had moved out. As much as my Mum loved them, and would love to have more, she and my Dad decided after they died that a) rabbits are too expensive, b) rabbits are too fragile, c) rabbits are hard to look after.

Unlike a cat, you can't just get your neighbour or friend to feed them when you go on holiday as they're too fragile (unless they're very good with bunnies), and in summer you need to make sure they get bum checks all the time because of flies (look up 'flystrike' on here). My Mum used to have to pay someone to come in every day to feed them, let them free range, and clean their litter trays out. Fortunately, she found someone who understood their needs, but if he wasn't available, she was stuck. She used to have to check with him BEFORE she booked anything. It's a lot of hassle!

I love bunnies, and would love one again, but I go away to see friends for weekends, and go on holiday once or twice a year, so it's not fair on the bun. I just get my 'fix' looking at lovely bunnies on here. As I said to my sister the other day 'You don't want a bunny, you could never go on holiday and it would poo in your shoe...':lol:

i could go on.

I disagree. We don't know this girl (or even if she's a girl) or her parents at all. I think it's counter productive and unfair to try to persuade her that they make awful pets. Instead we should tell her to consider the good, the bad and the ugly (and explain what those are) and that she needs to make a careful decision.:)

Maybe I have a different outlook on this because I've had rabbits my whole life and am used to what their care involves... I agree that they need to be housed in pairs or groups, that vet bills can be expensive, that they CAN be fragile (they're not all, I've had hardy rabbits) and can be prone to health problems.

but while their lifespan can reach 15 years they're not likely to live that long, they can be cuddly - mine certainly are, I don't believe age has any factor in this (why can't there be dedicated and responsible kids? Many adults aren't, so age doesnt have anything to do with it. Besides, we don't even know how old OP is), indoor accommodation is way less expensive than outdoor accommodation, I don't find that they require a lot of cleaning and attention - depends on set up and on what you consider a lot I guess, many aren't destructive.

Back