• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies outdoors

happyhare

New Kit
Now as the weather's getting better my two bunnies (2yrs and 5yrs) are spending more and more time outside (up to 10hrs a day). They are roaming free in our garden. They haven't got access to their hutches when outside (shelters provided though) where their pellets normally are. They are munching on the grass when they feel like it and water is provided for them too. Is that enough?
I've noticed that they eat less of their pellets and hay now, obviously, as they don't spend that much time in their homes. Is that ok nutrition-wise? Are they missing out on any nutrition if they don't have their usual portions of pellets and hay? They seem happy and healthy :)

Now as the weather's getting better my two bunnies (2yrs and 5yrs) are spending more and more time outside (up to 10hrs a day). They are roaming free in our garden. They haven't got access to their hutches when outside (shelters provided though) where their pellets normally are. They are munching on the grass when they feel like it and water is provided for them too. Is that enough?
I've noticed that they eat less of their pellets and hay now, obviously, as they don't spend that much time in their homes. Is that ok nutrition-wise? Are they missing out on any nutrition if they don't have their usual portions of pellets and hay? They seem happy and healthy :)

Apart from the obvious risk of predation, and escape, I'd say you need to be careful because grass this time of year is very full of nutrients and if your rabbits have had lots of access to it, they are at risk from bloat. Limited access only for bunnies who are not used to munching their way through their grass. Even bunnies used to grass are at risk in the spring because of the lush nature of the new seasons grass.

Apart from the obvious risk of predation, and escape, I'd say you need to be careful because grass this time of year is very full of nutrients and if your rabbits have had lots of access to it, they are at risk from bloat. Limited access only for bunnies who are not used to munching their way through their grass. Even bunnies used to grass are at risk in the spring because of the lush nature of the new seasons grass.

Yes, I have heard about that but thought it only applies to the bunnies with limited access to outdoors who are not used to grass that much. Mine go out daily all year round - weather permitting - the only difference it the length of time they spent there.

How limited should the access be? Mind you, they don't feed on it all day long. I've noticed they usually go for it later on in the day. Do I need to time their grazing time? Hmmm, that could be tricky.......

They should get a lot of nutrition from the grass so shouldn't need as many pellets although I don't know how many you give them. Is your garden safe from foxes etc as I think this could be your biggest problem.

Back