• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I'm pretty sure foxes are coming into our garden. I saw two nearby whilst walking home at around 9pm last week and I know they are around. I found a small poop outside the kennel last week too, it was full of seeds (TMI I know!) although I thought it may be too small to be a fox, it was smaller than cat poop. However, I emptied the litter trays and rinsed them at the outside tap yesterday and this morning there was a poop there.

I expected my dogs to bark like crazy if there was a fox about, but it seems they don't. The bunnies are in a kennel and it's extremely secure, no way a fox could get in without a huge amount of persistent chewing. One of the layers of mesh had come away slightly when I found the poop by the kennel, but I've fixed it back and it's since been left.

If it is a fox though, will the bunnies be ok? They can go in the indoor bit of the kennel and they also have a hut in there to hide in, but presumably they'll still know the fox is there? They seem ok. My husband suggested a camera, but I'm not really sure what that would achieve?

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that other thread and it's terrifying, isn't it? :shock:

I've definitely kept that in mind when thinking about fox proofing. My kennel has very strong (not sure what gauge, but the mesh is over a mm thick) 2" x 2" mesh on the front and I have put a layer of 1cm x 1cm holed mesh inside that to create a double layer, plus an extra panel of mesh where the runaround tunnel was as it temporarily isn't connected. The wood the kennel is made from is strong/thick, but I do check it for damage every day, twice a day and I am usually about at home as I am lucky enough not to work. It still worries me though, although fairly nearby neighbours (definitely with foxes about too) have had hens and have bunnies in pretty standard hen houses and hutches with no problems.

My main concern is psychological trauma. If the bunnies can hide, is that sufficient?

I'm thinking of getting a 'fox watch' but apparently they only seem to work on some foxes and not others. I'm also considering electric fencing around the outside of the base of the kennel (and aviary when it is up) as apparently this is very effective, but it's cost prohibitive at the moment, unless I can get some cheaply second hand.

My main concern is psychological trauma. If the bunnies can hide, is that sufficient?

I think it probably varies tremendously with the individual bunnies, in the same way that human response to trauma and fright can vary so much.

The first time I put these two back outside into a run after the destruction in those photos, they both did happy flops and Beatrice spent a mad half hour binkying around like a crazy loon. She made it very clear that she was very happy to be back outside and showed absolutely no signs of any trauma or fearful memory.

If it was smaller than cat poo could it have been hedgehog? They seem to do quite big poops for their size, like mini cat ones :D hope it's not foxes

Thanks. It didn't have an obvious smell. I'm not sure about the dogs as they've never once rolled in fox poo, despite frequently walking them in 'foxy' areas where it must be. :?

Lucky lucky lucky you. I had to shower Jojo (labrador x) AGAIN this morning after her lastest fox poo encounter ... :mrgreen:

Thankyou.

Santa, thanks, that is reassuring. It must have been terrifying for you to put your bunnies out again but great to see them happy to be there. It's hard because I feel that the benefits to the bunnies of being outside far outweigh the risk of a fox actually getting them and they do seem happy, lots of binkies yesterday during cleaning out, but one if them currently has snuffles, although there are a lot of other factors which will have contributed.

That's interesting about hedgehogs and actually, that could definitely be what the poo was!

Tulsi, I feel lucky about that! :lol:

I know this is a little off topic but why do dogs love fox poo so much? Not that I have dogs, just interested in animal behaviour :)

Back