• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI stasis in bunnys recovery time

Kelly11

Warren Scout
Hi I was wondering if anyone has gone through gi stasis with their bunny? My rabbit had a dental about a month ago and has been up and down since their was no underlying problem but last week he stopped eating (Wednesday) since then we've been syringe feedin him critical care and since then he's started eating grass lots if herbs and kale etcc but veg and pellets and hay are still a no lol I am just wondering how long untill he gets his diet back? Were reducing the syringe feeding down so that's just morning and night and doing what we can to encourage hay rtc his poos are still small though so thinking will it take for his gut to go back to normal ?

Be great if anyone else has been through this ;) thanks xxxc

What is the exact situation regarding his Dental issues ? Tooth root elongation ? (can only be confirmed from skull Xrays) Abscesses ? Osteomyelitis ?

Is he on any medication, especially pain relief ?

He just had his teeth filed Down .... Yep he's bayatril and metacam do antibiotics as he's very sneezy and pain relief xxx

Has he had skull Xrays ?

The fact that he is sneezy might be indicative of tooth root elongation associated with his Dental disease. Tooth root elongation can cause chronic pain and effected Rabbits often have a reduced gut motility as a direct result. What does he weigh and what dose of Metacam is he on ?

No he didn't have skull X-rays .... He's always been a sneezy bunny but got worst after his dental ..... Before his op he weighed. 2.13 ... He's always loved his food and us to be 2.21 lol but we had to reduce his food down as he gets a pooey bum! Since his op and all the ups and downs his lowest weight was 1.76 ... Were taking him Friday for a weigh to see since he's started eating if he's put it back on :) he's on 0.5ml of metacam and 0.8 of bayatril xxxx

Has he had skull Xrays ?

The fact that he is sneezy might be indicative of tooth root elongation associated with his Dental disease. Tooth root elongation can cause chronic pain and effected Rabbits often have a reduced gut motility as a direct result. What does he weigh and what dose of Metacam is he on ?

This is what I would do if the bunny didn't recover quickly following a dental for spurring. I think an awful lot of bunnies have tooth root issues that go undetected due to X-rays not being used enough to know immediately what is going as an underlying issue.

If tooth roots are elongated then it's so unlikely that normal doses of pain relief are going to help sufficiently to make bunny feel well enough to get munching properly again.

No he didn't have skull X-rays .... He's always been a sneezy bunny but got worst after his dental ..... Before his op he weighed. 2.13 ... He's always loved his food and us to be 2.21 lol but we had to reduce his food down as he gets a pooey bum! Since his op and all the ups and downs his lowest weight was 1.76 ... Were taking him Friday for a weigh to see since he's started eating if he's put it back on :) he's on 0.5ml of metacam and 0.8 of bayatril xxxx

Is it the Dog Metacam ?

I would definitely discuss the possibility of tooth root elongation with your Vet.

I assume that he had his Dental done under GA ?

Yeh it's the dog one were back at vets Friday so ill mention x rating his mouth ...... Yes he was under GA xxx

Hi everyone just wanted to give an update on Dillon

he has been doing better - actually wants to eat veg and grass and hay - pellets are still not a favourite!

we took him back vets friday and hes lost more weight! how i dont know! so were back again on wednesday and if their still not happy their brining in a rabbit savvy vet called Molly whos name i think i have heard on posts!

he was doing better and yday ate alot but today ive woken up and were back again to him not eating! i really dont understand how he perks up and he started eating veg and then suddenly hes poorly again!

is it because were trying lots of dif veg / herbs etc we try lots of things as he tends to change daily want he wants so to make sure he eats ill give him what he wants!

today hes eaten grass, some carrot, and the carrot top green, apple, and ive syringe fed him only 5 though as im scared were going back to the beginning!

starting to annoy me i feel hes on the mend starts eaten and bam hes not again! xxxxxxxx

Back