• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleo - 1 year on - A story of a wonky bunny

*Bex*

Mama Doe
One year ago today at this time, Cleo was being rushed to the vet after being found with head tilt when going to give the bunnies their tea. She had been fine a few hours earlier.

For the first week we thought we'd 'got off lightly' as although she was a bit wonky and wobbly she was still getting around fine, until 9 days after the headtilt first appearing we found her completely collapsed and unable to get up.

The next 6 weeks or so were just awful. Cleo deteriorated rapidly. She couldn't stand. Her head was almost upside down and just touching her would send her into a violent rolling session. I questioned myself several times whether continuing to fight was the right thing for her or if i was just being cruel, but although she was so poorly she still had so much fight in her. She ate like a horse, she learnt she could wash her face even though she was so twisted (we had to do a lot of washing of the rest of her) and she never once gave me that look to say she'd had enough. She was certainly a determined little bunny.

However, after about 6 weeks we did have to have that chat with the vet as there had been little to no improvement. I am pretty sure Cleo heard every single word as a couple of days later she started to stand up leaning against her cage. Standing was soon followed with walking whilst balancing on the cage wall, then standing up unsupported to finally starting to take her first few wobbly hops by herself. She just went from strength to strength.

Cleo is doing just fine now. She is still quite wonky, her tilt varies depending on what she is up to, where she is and if she is tired or not. However a trip to the vets just sees her laid in her carrier much like she was when she was very poorly, so i have to go armed with photos and videos of her at home so they can see how well she is doing!

She's much slower than other bunnies but she is happy. She eats well, she can clean herself and she enjoys a potter around the garden.

When she was very poorly she became quite vocal and gave us lots of little grunts if she was displeased about anything we were doing, such as when she had to have regular bum baths! This is not something Cleo has stopped doing. She never hesitates to let us know if we've made her cross. Last time i took her to the vets she was in her carrier by my feet whilst i was paying and all we could hear were her little grunts coming from her box. She stops once she gets back in the car as she knows she is going home! I also got quite the telling off today when i had to go back to work at lunch time as she was very much enjoying the grass and was not at all happy at having to go back in!

I am incredibly proud of her and how far she has come :D

Here is a few pictures of her enjoying some sunshine

Polo clearly enthralled by his little visitor!

Her head is more wonky when she is outside in an open space, but she gets around fine. She is enjoying some grass here :D

What a wee sweetheart :)

I had a wonky bun for a while, my Kermit :) I have such a soft spot for a wee head tilter x

What an inspiring story. Just goes to show the power of communicating with our loved ones.

Oh bless her :love:

Her story is almost exactly the same as my Mimi's, down to time frames and everything.

This was Mimi at her worst. She just couldn't stand up without rolling :cry: We had weeks of sleepless nights, questioning whether I was doing the right thing by keeping her going etc.

Starting to improve 6-7 weeks later.

And now, with her husbun Timmy :love: Her head is still tilted about 5 or 10 degrees but you'd never notice it if you weren't looking :D

I'd definitely recommend giving her gentle neck and back massages to help loosen up her neck muscles. I did them for Mimi all the way through her illness and I'm sure it helped her head return to its normal position :wave:

Aww bless her :love: such a lovely story I know how hard those first days/weeks are with a wonky bun. My gypsy had ec and also managed to pull through and went to live on afew years after:love:

Oh Bex your story has brought tears to my eyes. You are a wonderful bunny mummy! Lots of love to both you and the amazing Cleo xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:love: :love:
You're one amazing bunny mummy, and she is one determined little bun :love: :love:

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Back