• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Parker's not well :0(

vicky_26

Warren Scout
So this morning when I came downstairs I instantly knew something was up with Parker...she normally comes to me for her food (loves her food!) but she didn't and wouldn't eat at all. She also seemed to be moving around different.... Almost like really low and rolling about a little. So straight to the vets and they said it looked like she had gut stasis which looked to be caused by her teeth (food not chewed enough so not digested properly). Apparently her teeth were growing at an angle which was likely cause of her pain.

So I guess I have to accept she is always going to have dental problems (this will be her third dental) and she's 18 months so likely every six months she'll need something.

Vet did seem to make a passing comment to suggest that if the cost would be too much I should consider PTS but there's no way I could do this unless it affected Parker's quality of life :0(

I spoke to the vet this evening and apparently Parker is doing really well now, is eating and pooing well and is a lot brighter so will hopefully have her dental tomorrow.

I was in such a panic this morning, it's only been 6 weeks since I lost Poppy but I have been trying to stay positive and not think the worst is going to happen cos it did to Poppy.

I love my bunnies so much but it's such heartache when they are poorly and it's heartbreaking to hear all the sad stories on here and to realise how fragile rabbits can be. But I guess on the flip side, they do bring so much joy to us. I just wish they weren't so complex at times! xx

Hope everything goes well tomorrow. Is it the front or back teeth that are the problem? I have known a few buns cope well without front teeth so if the dentals are likely to be needed regularly removing them maybe an option. I would be a bit concerned that your vet sounds a bit trigger happy though :(

Thank you all.

I've just had a call from the Vet who said that she was still doing really well, eating and pooing as she should. She said that one of their other vets who has a lot of experience with Rabbits was looking at Parker and will decide tomorrow if to do a dental or not.

Basically, she said that her teeth are long but it's not clear if this has caused the blockage or that they have just assumed this. She said there is no ulcers or soreness that they can see caused by the long teeth.

So, they will decide if to do the dental or not tomorrow. They want to make sure the blockage issue is fully resolved before potentially doing a general. If they do, she said it will be a good file down to try and prevent further issues for as long as possible. If not, then it will be a case of monitoring her to make sure her teeth aren't causing her issues.

It's typical that I am going on holiday end of next week - but Parker is booked in to bunny boarding so I guess realistically she is in the best place possible rather than a family member/friend who has no experience of rabbits.

Parker's home!

Well after 3 days at the vets Parker is finally home.

She had her dental today... The vet said her jaw is not aligned meaning her back teeth don't grind together as much as they should which is why they are growing too long. Will have to monitor her to see how quickly they do grow. Vet did say there was no sore mouth or ulcers so hopefully they didn't cause her too much trouble.

Vet said she hadn't eaten herself after the dental but when I got her home she went straight and ate some hay and ate some greens I gave her so happy with that!

Have Metacam and some Zantac syrup and something else for her digestion so fingers crossed we are through the worst.

Was so anxious, especially after only losing Poppy 6 weeks ago .... Am so very relieved!

Am £200 lighter though! :0(

Welcome to the dental bunny club :wave:

You don't mention her incisors but if bunnies have back teeth problems they almost always have front teeth problems too, thankfully these can be removed without too much of a problem - although you say it's her 3rd dental so has she already had this done?

The vet said the same thing about Ashley when she was diagnosed, that her back teeth aren't aligned. She's just had her 2nd dental this year. At least Parker seems like a good hay eater so that's something :thumb:

Sometimes dental bunnies have elongated tooth roots which can cause problems such as dental abscesses but this can only be picked up during an x-ray, might be something to suggest to your vet the next time she has a dental.

Hope she continues to feel much better :thumb:

Welcome to the dental bunny club :wave:

You don't mention her incisors but if bunnies have back teeth problems they almost always have front teeth problems too, thankfully these can be removed without too much of a problem - although you say it's her 3rd dental so has she already had this done?

The vet said the same thing about Ashley when she was diagnosed, that her back teeth aren't aligned. She's just had her 2nd dental this year. At least Parker seems like a good hay eater so that's something :thumb:

Sometimes dental bunnies have elongated tooth roots which can cause problems such as dental abscesses but this can only be picked up during an x-ray, might be something to suggest to your vet the next time she has a dental.

Hope she continues to feel much better :thumb:

Her front teeth weren't mentioned but I am taking her to the vets Saturday for a check up so will ask. I am hoping - whilst I do accept she will need to have dentals - that they won't be really frequent - I am sure when she had the last one six months ago (which they did the same time she was neutered) that the vet said her teeth hadn't been as bad as they first thought. Time will tell though I guess. I think I will need to get into the habit of taking her to the nurse to check them every few months or something to keep an eye on them. She hasn't had any teeth out at all just proper filed down.

This evening she has eaten loads and pooped so really pleased with her. I've just given her two lots of medicine she needed tonight (I'm not the best medicine giver) but she took them well so fingers crossed.

I've taken the day off work tomorrow to keep an eye on her and give her medicine when I should.... I am going on holiday next weekend so I need to make sure (and for my own piece of mind while I am away) that she is 100% back to normal before then.

Back