• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Most Large Animal Welfare Charities Now 100% Behind P@H 'Support Adoption'

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Just read that Battersea Cats and Dogs Home have received £120,000 from P@H. It seems as though many of the large Charities now agree with all P@H do regarding their 'Adoption Centres'

Think it is a case of 'Money Talks'

This I think. I think its very hard for charities now and they are getting desperate. There are too many charities and causes to donate to and they are all competing harder than ever. So even a deal with the devil might be appealing if things are desperate. I don't like it but I think they are using whatever tactics they can to survive.

This I think. I think its very hard for charities now and they are getting desperate. There are too many charities and causes to donate to and they are all competing harder than ever. So even a deal with the devil might be appealing if things are desperate. I don't like it but I think they are using whatever tactics they can to survive.

This, the Dogs Trust are supplied with P@H own brand food. I think even some of the smaller independant charities can apply for a helping hand from P@H.

Doesn't exactly change the fact P@H are the main cause of the problem (in the case of rabbits anyway).

This, the Dogs Trust are supplied with P@H own brand food. I think even some of the smaller independant charities can apply for a helping hand from P@H.

Doesn't exactly change the fact P@H are the main cause of the problem (in the case of rabbits anyway).

This exactly.

If they stopped selling animals - the charities wouldn't need as much help - in my opinion.

I suppose from the dog and cat charity point of view they maybe arent the enemy as they dont sell dogs and cats?

Our local cats protection does tin chakes in branch but loca rspca refuse to speak to them

Im a bit on the fence with this one... I do use pah for bits and bobs and have a vip card.... my nominated charity is the dogs trust... so if pah help them out, im happy with that in a way.

I think it is a case of 'Money Talks'. What I dont understand is how the Adoption Centre can call itself that if the majority of Animals available are in fact 'old stock'. Rather like the 'Reduced Goods' shelf in a supermarket. But I suppose the alternative for the Rabbits who get placed in the Adoption Centre is pretty dire.

I try not to go into the local store now as once you actually see the sad faces of the Rabbits in the glass fronted cabinet (AKA the 'Adoption Centre') it takes a heart of stone to walk on by.

I wouldn't say that accepting the donation means that they are in support of it at all - I would just think that they are taking what they can get to enable them to keep going. Of course it would be better for them not to sell animals, but it won't ever change so the charities may as well benefit in whatever way they can. I am heavily involved with a Charity whom is given donations from them (both monetary and otherwise) but in no way do we support them or their ethos.

I wouldn't say that accepting the donation means that they are in support of it at all - I would just think that they are taking what they can get to enable them to keep going. Of course it would be better for them not to sell animals, but it won't ever change so the charities may as well benefit in whatever way they can. I am heavily involved with a Charity whom is given donations from them (both monetary and otherwise) but in no way do we support them or their ethos.

In a way that kind of confirms my thoughts. They are a multi million pound company and with money comes power.

If it is no longer OK to sell Puppies and Kittens why is it OK for them to sell Rabbits, GPs etc....etc ?

If it's not OK to obtain Puppies from mass produced Puppy Mills why is it OK for them to obtain their Rabbits from a similar 'Rabbit Mill' ?

I truly dont understand, but I am a bear of very little brain .........................

Just read that Battersea Cats and Dogs Home have received £120,000 from P@H. It seems as though many of the large Charities now agree with all P@H do regarding their 'Adoption Centres'

I would doubt that 'most' large animal welfare charities would be supporting P@H. In my experience there is a lot of talking and negotiating with P@H to come to a conclusion that's very sympathetic to animals. If it means that more rescued animals are adopted in the 'correct' way (Home visit, vetting the potential guardians etc) than are bought via pet shops then I'm all in favour :)

I would doubt that 'most' large animal welfare charities would be supporting P@H. In my experience there is a lot of talking and negotiating with P@H to come to a conclusion that's very sympathetic to animals. If it means that more rescued animals are adopted in the 'correct' way (Home visit, vetting the potential guardians etc) than are bought via pet shops then I'm all in favour :)

But that doesn't happen with the P@H adoption centre animals. Or do you mean that the money that some charities may receive from P@H enables them, the charities, to keep going thus more animals being adopted in the 'correct' way.

And is it not borderline cruelty to be selling all these sick rabbits,i was wondering do they need a licence to sell animals,surely with all the people on ru with sick rabbits could we not get a petition going?or has this been done before?

In a way that kind of confirms my thoughts. They are a multi million pound company and with money comes power.

If it is no longer OK to sell Puppies and Kittens why is it OK for them to sell Rabbits, GPs etc....etc ?

If it's not OK to obtain Puppies from mass produced Puppy Mills why is it OK for them to obtain their Rabbits from a similar 'Rabbit Mill' ?

I truly dont understand, but I am a bear of very little brain .........................

I wholeheartedly agree. That is exactly what is so wrong with PAH, their appalling breeding conditions.

I agree with you Jane. But I'm guessing that it's because cats and dogs are seen as 'adult' and 'family' pets, whereas rabbits and guineas are seen as cheap pets for children and therefore not worth bothering with because they "don't live very long". I was chatting to a lady with a bunny in my local vet waiting room the other day (my dog vet, I hasten to add) and she had been told BY THE VET that her rabbit would probably live for 5-6 years :roll:. Until rabbits are given the same status as cats and dogs, their needs and rights will always be neglected :(.

Back