• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Upset

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
I unexpectedly lost my beautiful baby boy Fudge on Friday, he hadn't been ill as such. I thought he might have a bit of bladder sludge so took him to the vets on Thursday who started him on antibiotics, I have experience of this with his sister Ellie - as she has had this at least four times.

I awoke on Friday morning and he was a bit down, which I put down to him starting the medicine.. I got in from going out after work at nine and knew straight away something was up, so I shakily phoned the emergency vet and got them in the car and drove the 15 - 20 mins to get there but as I was pulling him up I could hear him fitting then he gave a cry... I begged him to hold on put as we got into the vets he stopped breathing and I knew I had lost him..

The emergency vets have given me a culture to get checked but said it looked like pus... I just feel so guilty if I hadn't gone to the pictures - if I had been home four hours earlier, would he still be with us... I'm awaiting the results back from the vets as to what happened - I just still can't believe he has gone :(

I just don't know what the best thing to do for Ellie is now, they have been together pretty much since day one almost together for nearly four years. I have tried spending more time with her - letting her know she is not alone - getting up an hour earlier just to lie in her room with her. She's not normally a cuddly bun well not with me but her and Fudge were inseparable. I picked her up yesterday for cwtches and she started digging on me - what was she trying to say. I'm spoiling her with treats..

Any ideas on how to make this easier on here, as no matter how hard it is for me it must be ten folds harder on her. It's heartbreaking watching her look for him...

I'm so sorry you lost Fudge :cry: you did the best you could for him and I'm sure he knew how loved he was. I know lots of people on here who have lost one of a pair of bunnies have got them another friend, maybe you could ask the advice of a rescue who could advise if they have a suitable partner for Ellie? I've seen some people give a lone rabbit a cuddly toy to snuggle and groom to help in the meantime.
Sending hugs xx

I'm sorry you lost Fudge. You can't know he could have been saved even if you had been home earlier - try not to blame yourself.

I lost one rabbit from a pair last year and after a few weeks I found his partner a new friend through a rescue.

You can't dwell on "what ifs". You did all you could at the time. You can't possibly have known something like this was going to happen. He was clearly very loved and cared for and I know it doesn't make it easier, but try to think about the good times you had with him.

Remember rabbits are prey animals and hide their symptoms when they are poorly, so by the time you notice that something is wrong it is sometimes too late.

As for Ellie, you are obviously trying your hardest with her. She will appreciate it. Digging you can be several things. Either she is angry with you for picking her up (usually the reason my lot dig me) or she wants attention. She will be feeling confused right now, so spending lots of time with her will definitely help. The best thing you can do for her (when you are both ready) is to get her a friend. Keep a close eye on her, though, some buns cope better than others when losing a friend. My boy, Fiver, was very poorly after losing his wifebun suddenly and went into a depression. The only thing that brought him out of it was getting him another wife. It was difficult, because I wasn't ready for another rabbit, but I knew that Fiver needed a friend more than anything.

*Massive hugs to you*

Binky free Fudge. x

Thank you all for your kind words, it's so nice to have people who understand how much we love our babies x hate the reaction he's only a rabbit - no I looked after him everyday for almost four years he is my baby x

So sorry you lost him.Binky Free Fudge.

The what ifs and maybes are awful, my own Poppy had a seizure literally just as I was about to ring the vets. I thought for a while after 'if only I'd got up earlier', but as my oh said, then I'd have been given an appointment rather than told to bring her straight down.

When the time is right for you both consider getting Ellie a new friend from a rescue. This is what I did, they were very helpful in finding Will a new friend and had lots of bonding advice, which coupled with what I gleaned from here, went quite smoothly.

Hugs to you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my beautiful Badger in the early hours of yesterday morning so I understand how you are feeling hugs xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back