• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White, crusty skin

Alicia

Mama Doe
Joey has some white crusty skin (like dandruff but thicker) on the back of his neck. He seems fine in himself and is walking around fine, what do you think this is? I had a guinea-pig with something similar and it was a fungal infection on the skin, do you think it could be the same? I don't have a camera at the moment so can't take a photo but I was going to give the vets a ring and take him this afternoon. If I can't get an appointment for today I'll borrow my sisters camera this evening to try and get a photo of it.

Last edited:
Given the position and dandruff look my guess would be Cheyletiella (fur mites).

Invertmectin should help, either via a spot on or via injection by a vet.

How do they get this? He hasn't met any new rabbits or animals recently, since August he's just lived with Izzy another rabbit, should I take her with me to the vets as I'm guessing she could get it from him? Thank you for the reply :)

How do they get this? He hasn't met any new rabbits or animals recently, since August he's just lived with Izzy another rabbit, should I take her with me to the vets as I'm guessing she could get it from him? Thank you for the reply :)

They can get them from hay as far as I know! Teddy had them really bad when I first got him, he's had a full treatment of Ivermectin and is much better now. You don't need to go to the vets, you can get Xeno 450 from VetUk, VioVet, Amazon etc for much cheaper than it is at the vets :) You may need to treat Izzy as well yes, just in case x

My Poppy has recently had mites, completely out of the blue, never had them before in any of my bunnies and her two sisters didn't have them either. I was mortified. :oops:

They are in hay and in the environment and most of the time they don't cause a problem for healthy rabbits. Sometimes bunnies can succumb to them if they are a little low or under the weather.

You have done the right thing in booking her in at the vets as they'll be able to do a health check at the same time.

Poppy's two sisters were treated too, as a precaution. They had the injections as they groom each other a lot and the spot on stuff isn't a nice thing for them to ingest. They had to have one injection per week, can't remember whether it was 3 or 4 weeks.

I only made an appointment for Joey but do you think it would be ok if I just took Izzy as well?

I only made an appointment for Joey but do you think it would be ok if I just took Izzy as well?

If you want them to see Izzy then no, you would probably need to make a double appointment.

I agree with the others, sounds like mites. Ashley had these when she was a house bunny so I had no idea where she got them. Apparently hay mites are different to rabbit mites. :?

They often get mites when the immune system has been weakend so bunny may have another underlying issue so it wouldn't hurt to get him checked by the vet.

I always take both rabbits with me anyway because they're bonded, often the vet doesn't mind giving them a quick check too just to be sure they don't have the same problem.

Thank you for the help everyone, I took him to the vets in the end because I wanted to be sure what it was, I did think it could be mites and the vet said it was mites. She's given me some gel to put on his and Izzy's necks every two weeks for the next month, and I disinfected the hutch and washed it out this morning, hopefully that will get rid of it. I'm not sure where they got it from but I'm going to keep the hutch very clean because I haven't been as on top of it as I should have been and keep an eye on them more to make sure it doesn't happen again :)

Back