• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit scent glands?

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

A lady came in to our vet hospital with her bunny the other day. The bunny had a brown staining (not poop) around her back end. It was very dark staining; the bunny was supposed to be white but the area around her bum was all dark brown! The owner said she wondered if it might be over-active scent glands. I didn't think about rabbit scent glands before - do they have them around their bums? And if so, would they secrete a lot of brown fluid to cause the sort of staining I saw?

AMETHYST

Hi all,

A lady came in to our vet hospital with her bunny the other day. The bunny had a brown staining (not poop) around her back end. It was very dark staining; the bunny was supposed to be white but the area around her bum was all dark brown! The owner said she wondered if it might be over-active scent glands. I didn't think about rabbit scent glands before - do they have them around their bums? And if so, would they secrete a lot of brown fluid to cause the sort of staining I saw?

AMETHYST

Yes to both :)

http://brighteyessanctuary.org/educ/rabbit-info-scent-glands.html

Hi sorry to hijack. I noticed a small brown stain on my carpet a few months ago, then a few days ago I watched Millie move across the room and she'd left a really small brown splotch on the carpet where she had been sat. I watched her and she then ate a cecal so I thought the stain came from the cecal and didn't think much more of it. There's been no more stains since.

I presume this could have come from her gland then? Does it mean that it is blocking up or just that she has an active one or something? I definitely wouldn't be brave enough to go digging around with a cotton bud like the link :oops:

ETA: They did go to the vet a month ago for claw clipping and I seem to remember him turning them over and having a look at their bits! Would that have included glands?

Last edited:
Back