• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please - urgent - terrible UD :(

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
I'm not sure where to put this and I really need help as I'm so worried & upset.

I just went to feed my boys & noticed Badger was just sitting hunched up in a corner and uninterested in his food. I scooped him up and checked him all over and all I can see is two slits either side of his bum which looks very red and painful. I'm guessing that he must have been face humping & somebun bit him?

I've taken him out of their room and popped him in the bathroom overnight as it's all I've got that's wire & escape proof with no other rabbits. I've put him bowls of food & water down and an empty carrier with some vet bed and a t shirt I've been wearing today for him to snuggle up with & hopefully calm him as he's never been alone. He's just balled himself up and is generally not happy.

This led me to check the other three - Blackavar is fine except for a wet patch under his chin - could he just have got it wet or could he be drooling as part of a dental issue. He eats loads of hay now & has pellets, but he was a stud bunny until I got him last September and was on museli & I suspect little to no hay as he didn't eat it at first.

Whilst I was checking him, my OH was checking Blueberry & says he is the same as Badger, but not as bad. He's bright & bouncy & hungry as normal as is Blackavar and Slipper.

Slipper also has these two slit things, but they're not red and inflamed, I can't think how to describe them.

Needless to say, all 4 buns are going straight down to the vets tomorrow at the first appt I can get them! But of anybody has any suggestions or advice now, I'd appreciate it. I feel like the worlds worst bunny slave ATM and that I've really let them down :cry: I adore these guys & I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to them, I've always done my best for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Its not your fault. You have done the best for them, you cant help their behaviour or control it.
I have no suggestions about what could be wrong, but i hope it is nothing serious. Vibes for you and your buns xx

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

The slits could just be his scent glands. If he isn't eating within about an hour, I'd be wanting to take him to the emergency vets for painkiller and gut stimulant.

The two slits are just scent glands. Don't worry about that, all rabbits have them. If they look sore, perhaps they are blocked up and need cleaning.

Badger needs to see a vet tonight, I'm afraid. He won't be able to wait until morning if he isn't eating.

Yes! Scent glands! Can they get infected? I don't think they're blocked looking at those pictures, more red & inflamed.

Yes! Scent glands! Can they get infected? I don't think they're blocked looking at those pictures, more red & inflamed.

He needs to see a vet. He's obviously in pain. Possibly they have become blocked and then infected..or it may have nothing to do with his condition. Either way a vet will have to take a look and also give him pain relief.

Please don't wait until morning if he shows no improvement soon.

He needs to see a vet. He's obviously in pain. Possibly they have become blocked and then infected..or it may have nothing to do with his condition. Either way a vet will have to take a look and also give him pain relief.

Please don't wait until morning if he shows no improvement soon.

I'm going to keep an eye on him, don't worry. My normal vet is good, but my emergency vet is useless unfortunate, I don't trust them :cry: I only posted about this last week :cry:

Oh no!!! Be good bunnies for your slave :(

Hope he's ok and a quick trip to the vets sorts this out.

Thanks all. I'm tired, but scared to sleep. I want him in the bedroom with me, but it's wire central :( Badger reminds me so much of Dexy, I can't take it if anything happens to him. I've been to check on him, I think he's been out for a hop as there is hay on the floor from the carrier & water too. Please be ok bunnies, I love you so much xxxxxxxxx

How's Badger this morning? Is he big on grooming the others? Might he have ingested fur that's giving him tummy ache? Wills done this a couple of times. First time i rushed him to the vet who could find nothing wrong, the next time we rubbed his tummy and put him out on the grass. I also held a water bottle to him and he had a big drink. Not long after he was fine. Appreciate you cant put him outside in the middle of the night tho. I give him a few hours time limit before vets again. Whilst Nancy is moulting so heavily I've cut out nearly all treats just hay and their RR and plantain. I also put them on the grass everyday, which i think is ok as they've had access to grass all through the Winter.

Hope he's feeling better this morning.

I just woke up & went to check on him & he has died :cry: I can't believe it, he was fine yesterday afternoon, playing tag with the Hoover and stuff, then just a bit off colour last night, I don't understand. I'm heart broken :cry:

Back