• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flea advice

daffodil.lemurs

Warren Scout
I moved into a new property last weekend and after a few days I noticed my house bun was scratching. I assumed it was because of his moult and stress with the move but as he was eating and drinking I didnt really worry. On Friday I noticed flea bites on my legs and when I groomed him I found some fleas and a small area of broken skin on the back of his neck where he'd scratched himself. I combed him through and removed several fleas. I called the letting agent and they arranged for fumigation today.

I took him to the vets on Saturday and they confirmed it was fleas. They gave me an acclaim spray for the environment and ordered Advantage in which I'm going to pick up tomorrow. They also gave me some flamazine for where he'd scratched himself. So now for the questions...

The fumigator said he can't come back into the property for 24 hours so he's in a heated shed in the garden. But can I bring him back in when he hasnt been treated yet or will I just reinfest the house? Should I leave him in the shed until I pick the treatment up on Tuesday evening and apply it, its just that he's usually a free range bun and the shed is too small for him really.

And can I use the acclaim spray on mattresses and curtains as I can't wash them? Or will I have to buy new soft furnishings if they can't be washed, what about my clothes?

And with regards to his toys and things, do they all need replacing as not all of them can be washed...does anyone know if you can wash the wool donuts from the hare apparent?

I'm aware that was very long, any advice would be appreciated though

Sorry you are having an awful time. I can't answer all your questions but I would recommend your rabbit stays in the shed for a while. The lack of space won't harm him but I would keep him away from the fumigation. Hope you soon get everythin under control.

i wouldn't bring him in until he is treated as he could shed eggs and will start the cycle all over! do you have or could you borrow a steam cleaner for the soft furnishings? if not, a vacuum and then spray with flea spray should work. clothes/bedding etc washed about 60 degrees will kill any fleas! also diatomaceous earth is really good for sprinkling around anywhere you're concerned about (possibly the shed after he comes out?) not too sure about toys and things, a steam cleaner would clean anything though:wave:

Thanks guys. I guess I'll leave him in the shed for now. Does anyone know how long Advantage takes to work, is it just one dose or is it a course. Just trying to figure out how long it'll be till he can be back inside with us :cry:

Back