• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit unspayed, what's best to do?

Karen's

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,
I'm getting (rescuing) a new girl bunny who is not spayed. I have two separate pairs at the moment who are all 'done'. I'm hoping to bond new girl into one of the pairs.
I'm going to collect her in a couple of days, but what's the best thing to do. Should I bring her home and settle her in for a couple of weeks before taking her to get spayed? Does this risk unsettling her and my existing buns as she will be able to smell my boys no doubt? Or should I literally take her straight to the vets before I bring her home? And then settle her in after her op?
Either way seems very stressful for new bun, moving house then having an op, or having an op and moving house. Existing owners are not willing to get her spayed and let her recover for a few weeks before coming here, even though I offered to pay for the op.
I would appreciate any advice, I'm thinking option 1 may be best, but I don't really know.
Thank you.

Personally, I'd settle her in before getting her spayed. This will give you time to make sure she is fit and healthy, too. :thumb:

When you bring her home she will need to be kept away from your other two pairs as if they see or smell an 'intruder' they may start to fight amongst themselves (referred aggression). This would apply whether she is spayed or not.

With regards to the spay I would bring her home first. If she is not vaccinated I'd get that done ASAP along with a thorough health check. Then after a couple of weeks you could book her in to be spayed. This will also give you the opportunity to observe her behaviour and to note what is 'normal' for her. This will make monitoring her recovery from a spay a bit easier for you. When she is spayed and whilst under GA I would ask the Vet to do a thorough Dental examination too and also to check her ears

When you bring her home she will need to be kept away from your other two pairs as if they see or smell an 'intruder' they may start to fight amongst themselves (referred aggression). This would apply whether she is spayed or not.

With regards to the spay I would bring her home first. If she is not vaccinated I'd get that done ASAP along with a thorough health check. Then after a couple of weeks you could book her in to be spayed. This will also give you the opportunity to observe her behaviour and to note what is 'normal' for her. This will make monitoring her recovery from a spay a bit easier for you. When she is spayed and whilst under GA I would ask the Vet to do a thorough Dental examination too and also to check her ears

This.

Motoring her behaviour will also help you with the bonding process and will give you the chance to see which pair she'd be more compatible with. :)

Thanks guys, I know your both right, I think I was just panicking a bit. I'll settle her in then get her spayed. She is not vaccinated so I'll keep her away from my buns until I get her vaccinated. I suspect she may need a dental as she had a weepy eye and is fed pet shop muesli. I'm looking forward to giving her a better life, but a bit anxious too.

Thanks guys, I know your both right, I think I was just panicking a bit. I'll settle her in then get her spayed. She is not vaccinated so I'll keep her away from my buns until I get her vaccinated. I suspect she may need a dental as she had a weepy eye and is fed pet shop muesli. I'm looking forward to giving her a better life, but a bit anxious too.

Sending tons of vibes her way. Well done for offering her a new home. :)

I would be on the side of bringing her home then getting her spayed.

However, I know that one rescue centre (reputable) would prefer to have the bunny spayed straight away so that her settling in can be done properly at the point she arrives at her new home.

So basically I think it's your call, and both options have advantages!

Back