• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby wildie and guinea pig in same cage!! Help!

LainiT

Warren Scout
Need info to pass on please :(

A work colleague today told me her friend's cat brought a baby wildie in, seems uninjured, didn't know what else to do with it so put it in the cage with her guinea pig :shock: :( and she thinks it's gonna be ok!

I don't know enough about wildies (or guinea pigs) to argue the case, but for starters anyone who puts a bunny and a piggie together sure as heck shouldn't be in charge of a wild bun IMO?

Please help what should I tell her? Her friend is adamant that because it's only a baby it will be ok and will be tame enough to keep as a pet? No idea on set up or her bunny experience, I just have a feeling it won't be a happy ending

Rabbits & guinea pigs should never be kept together, a bunnies kick can kill a piggy not to mention they need separate diets. A wildie should be taken to a wildlife rescue who will be able to correctly care for bun & release, though these are often over filled already. I don't think it will be tame, more scared & jumpy but hopefully someone who has experience will reply.

Can't imagine why anyone would put a wild rabbit in with a piggy anyway!

Thanks for that, I know about the different diets, didn't know about the deadly kick, maybe that might be a starting point...hopefully her guinea pig at risk is enough to make her think twice.
No idea on wildlife rescues round here, let alone bunny savvy ones. Will google...

Oh dear, domestic buns can be hard enough to care for, but a wildie? I'd love one personally, but I couldn't handle one so no. The guinea pig & wildie need separating immediately. I bet the wildie has never seen a Guinea pig before so could be frightened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabbits also carry carry bordatella which can be fatal to guinea pigs x

Ah thankyou for this too. I doubt very much that she will listen, sounds like she's made her mind up all is good but if I build the case that it's putting her guinea pig at risk hopefully it will be taken seriously.

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to take an animal from the wild and make a pet of it, so if all else fails, I'd phone the RSPCA or contact a local wildlife rescue yourself for advice on what to do.

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to take an animal from the wild and make a pet of it, so if all else fails, I'd phone the RSPCA or contact a local wildlife rescue yourself for advice on what to do.

It is, but I think it might depend on the circumstances i.e. if someone deliberately broke open a den to take a baby then yes, but to find one stranded on the roadside, probably not. I wouldn't like for anyone on here to use that as a defence in Court however ...

Definitely contact a local wildlife centre or sanctuary near you if you can, or if all else fails there's always the RSPCA but I'd try them as a last resort.

Wow didn't know that either, thankyou. My case is getting stronger :D

I'd go down the route of it is a wild animal, not a pet. Wild rabbits do not make good pets, they are still wild animals and they retain their wild characteristics. It's like getting a wolf as a pet and expecting it to act like a dog.

It also extremely likely that the rabbit is carrying pasturella, and it may be carrying bordetella. It also may have fleas.

It is, but I think it might depend on the circumstances i.e. if someone deliberately broke open a den to take a baby then yes, but to find one stranded on the roadside, probably not. I wouldn't like for anyone on here to use that as a defence in Court however ...

Definitely contact a local wildlife centre or sanctuary near you if you can, or if all else fails there's always the RSPCA but I'd try them as a last resort.

Not if you picked it up with the intention of releasing it, or were going to take it to a wildlife centre. But if it is perfectly healthy and can survive on its own (would be different if was a very young baby still dependent milk and became tame as a result- I think that this is how people end up with 'wildies' as pets, but I think that that is very different as the bun we are talking about is an established wild rabbit and could live in the wild if released) then I'm pretty sure that it's not allowed. The woman in question seems to have decided to just keep a wild animal as a pet, which is pretty cruel.

It's also different in the case of animals like hedgehogs who if injured are sometimes released into secure gardens, so they can't go too far or further their injuries, but can still feed themselves and be fairly independent. On the whole it is against the law to detain healthy wild animals for a prolonged period.

Ok well I'm starting to ring round the local wildlife centres, first one down...apparently the poor little wildie will be fine to keep as a pet if she handles it and so long as the guinea pig and bunny get on ok then they are fine to live together!:shock: :(

Ok well I'm starting to ring round the local wildlife centres, first one down...apparently the poor little wildie will be fine to keep as a pet if she handles it and so long as the guinea pig and bunny get on ok then they are fine to live together!:shock: :(

:shock: don't let bunny go there! I do t know much, but what I do know is that is a load of :censored:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know! I was like :shock: :shock: Bye then!!

Unbelievable :shock: wow, I'm a bit lost for words! Hope you find somewhere more clued up soon. I really don't think even tame rabbit/piggy is a suitable mix, let alone it being a wildie :(

Back