• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gizmo's Abscess removal surgery - update on his recovery (WARNING INCLUDES PICTURES)

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
**update -GIZMO IS DOING MUCH BETTER**

Hi all
Following on from this post - http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...nd-how-quick-after-antibiotics-does-it-reduce

posted recently regarding gizmos abscess (not knowing what it was when I posted ) it turned out he had two one on each side of his head and one was draining into his ear.
The vet gave us antibiotics which we had to use every three days. The antibiotics finished today and the vet is not sure what to do next. She said about possibly x-raying his head and maybe syringe his ears and see what that shows. Or possibly just leave them and see how he goes as he can't be in pain because he is eatting etc. (Gizmo ate the day his teeth came out ... So gizmo eating isn't a clear indication to no pain :( ) ,
She went on to say that even if they find the cause the abscess could be difficult to get rid of and will probably come back anyway. She also mentioned that it could burst! They are going to discuss it with the other rabbit savy vet and get back to us.  I don't know what to do. My OH is concerned that if they lance it the recovery may be tricky as his bunny wife is gut stasis bunny and we don't want her licking it, also we cant separate them as I don't think we would ever get them back together. Our vet bonded them because they were such a problem and now have a love hate relationship . On top of this I am out looking after my mum who has had a knee replacement.... But saying that gizmo is so important to me . I don't want him suffering and need to know what to do for the bEst. I would be devastated if I lost him so any help or ideas woulD be great. Are normal vet is long term sick so having to see other exotic vets and so far the results haven't been great :cry:

Last edited:
can your vet do a swab of the pus to find the best antibiotic to treat it ?

tbh if the abcess is still getting bigger it sounds like the injections arnt working . :( .. surgery might be the best option followed by a course of specific antibiotics .

Update spoke to vet today

Just a quick update.

The rabbit savvy vet spoke to the other rabbit savvy vet to decide what to do next and basically between them they think the abscess's are because of ear disease (whatever that is) and therefore treatment may be tricky:cry:
They gave us two options 1. Skull X-rays and a clean out and deep examination of the ear canal whilst under a GA and treat with stronger antibiotics which would be penicillin or 2. Skip the X-rays and just do the antibiotics.

But my OH and I want to know what's going on rather than keep pumping him full of drugs. They said they don't normally like to use penicillin in rabbits but apparently it has had good results in reducing abscess so they feel confident that he should be ok on it.

They haven't said about surgery as he is nearly 6 and is already been through a lot with being a gummy bunny and being attacked etc so considering they think this is an abscess caused by a disease they think it would be putting him through a major operation for something that will keep coming back.

Gizmo is still fine in himself but I can't help feeling I am going to lose him :cry:

y3y8a7e7.jpg
tuqu9abu.jpg

Gizmo is going in for head X-rays and ears syringe to try and reduce the puss build up then starts the penicillin please send vibes xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please send vibes for gizmo x

nuhyzu9a.jpg
9a5yju3u.jpg

Gizmo goes in for head X-rays tomorrow and ears syringed to try and help get to the route of his abscesses feeling really worried :( he is 6 years old and I don't like the thought of a GA

I've not had a rabbit with ear abscesses, but I have had 2 bunnies on long term antibiotics and metacam for really odd and inoperable jaw abscesses. The first was on depocillin injected every 3 days for about 18 months around the age of 5-6 years. The other is on streptacare - injected daily at home for the rest of her life. She is now 7 years old and has had this abscess for nearly a year. The medication never bothered either of them in any way, but it did help to keep the horrible abscesses under control, and probably finally got rid of one but there was a lot of bone involved as well. Both had regular x-rays and lancing / partial removal of the infected areas where possible, along with regular dentals so that they could eat normally. Recovery from the ops was usually really quick. Their quality of life was good - it just needed more intervention and TLC to keep it that way.

Gizmo is having surgery :(

Hi guys as u may know from my earlier post gizmo was going in for skull X-ray's today however after dropping him off our normal rabbit savvy vet is back (she has taken care of gizmo since day one and is specially trained my bunnies)
She called us to say she can feel the abscess is fairly loose and she feels his best chance of recovery is surgery removing the abscess and it's wall . We trust her 100% and know she would only suggest doing something that she feels is needed and that she believes will work . She said abscess's are a nightmare in rabbits but if she can remove the wall as well his chance of it not coming back are much better. Just scared because he is 6 years old and it's another GA :((

6 isn't that old for GA, try not to worry yourself.
You're giving him the best chance and it sounds like your vet really knows what she's doing. I hope it all goes well for him :wave:

Bless him!

Hope all goes well for the little guy and sending lots of vibes for his quick recovery xxxx

Back