• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disposing of needles

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
So Nutmeg is back on the Streptacare now indefinitely. How does everyone dispose of their needles? I just collected the last lot together and took them back to the vets but would I be better off with a sharps box? I've ordered a box online so that's three months supply and it seems like a lot of used needles to keep around :?

Also I'm assuming its ok to just put the syringes (without needles) in the rubbish? Or should they be disposed of in a certain way as well?

So Nutmeg is back on the Streptacare now indefinitely. How does everyone dispose of their needles? I just collected the last lot together and took them back to the vets but would I be better off with a sharps box? I've ordered a box online so that's three months supply and it seems like a lot of used needles to keep around :?

Also I'm assuming its ok to just put the syringes (without needles) in the rubbish? Or should they be disposed of in a certain way as well?

My Vet gives me a sharps box

My Vet gives me a sharps box

Ta. I was kinda surprised when they didn't tbh as my friend's cat had diabetes and had to have daily injections and she said she got given a box. Could I get a box online and give them to the vets in that? I don't really like them being around loose even with the caps on.

Syringes can go in normal waste however needles should go in sharps bin. I think you vet should give you one. If it were a human needing injections your gp would

If you can't get hold of a sharps bin then go to your local pharmacy, i can't remember the name of them but they have these plastic cylinder things that you put dirty needles in, they're mainly for drug users but I'm sure they'd let you buy one

Syringes can go in normal waste however needles should go in sharps bin. I think you vet should give you one. If it were a human needing injections your gp would

Syringes are classified as clinical waste, and should go in with the sharps. Either in a sharps bin or suitable container and back to the vet ..

I buy my sharps bin from ebay much cheaper than what our vet charges. But the vet will dispose of it once full

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Eep :oops: ok, i'll put the syringes aside too. I'll have a look on eBay, thanks everyone.

Back