• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Plan GGGRRRRR

Lil & Ron's Mum

Warren Scout
Ron is 8 this year, I had his Pet plan renewal through yesterday, it has gone up £2.08 to £17.88
Last year his Excess went up to £100, but now its £100 + 20%
So every time (if I have to go go) I have to pay his £100 xs plus 20% of his bill and every appointment after that, even tho its for the same illness 20% of my bill every visit.
When I rang Pet Plan to confirm this I asked WHY!!, I have never claimed in Ron's whole 8 Years, and why are cats a lot cheaper when they roam the streets??
She said it was because where we live....... I told her that was a load of Rubbish as Margo is £10.
I dare not cancel as I cancelled Lilly's insurance and the day after she got head tilt
I'm thinking of swapping Margo to Helpucover or Exotic direct, but unsure if they will do the same when she gets a blue rinse/pension.
Any one recommend the 2 above or having the same problem with pet plan old .age .bunny

Has he EVER been diagnosed with anything? If not, would be worth maybe looking at swapping companies. Petplan have a limit of 5 years old for their new customers, but other companies may not. You'd probably get a cheaper deal starting as a new customer, than staying with petplan, but then you've got to weigh this up with the fact that petplan are the best when you actually come to claim as they cover the most and the fact that any new insurer will not cover anything he has had previously. But it's worth thinking about.

My Barney is 5 and his excess is £90 at the moment. I'm dreading the day they put a percentage on there too, as I do claim for him a lot.

I guess their logic is that he will need veterinary care at some point, and the risk increases the older he gets, even if he's been ok so far. Unfortunately I don't think there are any providers out there who will insure an 8 year old bun as a new policy, they all seem to want the bun to be under 4 at the time the policy is taken out, and they will then carry on insuring as long as the policy is renewed annually.

My Dudley wasn't insured either, as he had never had a day's sickness in his life until he was about 8 and then in his last 2 years I must have spent about £1500 in various vets' fees for conditions to do with respiratory infections, eye ulceration and spinal issues. Heather was similar, but she was insured, and I spent about £1500 in vets' fees for her too, just for one age-related eye condition...but I got all of that back apart from the excess, which I think was £65 at the time!!

It's a tricky balance isn't it, personally I would still keep it - it sounds a lot, but if your bun suddenly developed even quite a simple infection, proper diagnostics and ongoing treatment (again, more likely when older) could run into hundreds or thousands.

I guess their logic is that he will need veterinary care at some point, and the risk increases the older he gets, even if he's been ok so far. Unfortunately I don't think there are any providers out there who will insure an 8 year old bun as a new policy, they all seem to want the bun to be under 4 at the time the policy is taken out, and they will then carry on insuring as long as the policy is renewed annually.

My Dudley wasn't insured either, as he had never had a day's sickness in his life until he was about 8 and then in his last 2 years I must have spent about £1500 in various vets' fees for conditions to do with respiratory infections, eye ulceration and spinal issues. Heather was similar, but she was insured, and I spent about £1500 in vets' fees for her too, just for one age-related eye condition...but I got all of that back apart from the excess, which I think was £65 at the time!!

It's a tricky balance isn't it, personally I would still keep it - it sounds a lot, but if your bun suddenly developed even quite a simple infection, proper diagnostics and ongoing treatment (again, more likely when older) could run into hundreds or thousands.

this :wave::wave:

its common practice with all animals, when they reach a certain age they are uninsurable to new policies and the current policy adds 20% to the excess

Ron is 8 this year, I had his Pet plan renewal through yesterday, it has gone up £2.08 to £17.88
Last year his Excess went up to £100, but now its £100 + 20%
So every time (if I have to go go) I have to pay his £100 xs plus 20% of his bill and every appointment after that, even tho its for the same illness 20% of my bill every visit.
When I rang Pet Plan to confirm this I asked WHY!!, I have never claimed in Ron's whole 8 Years, and why are cats a lot cheaper when they roam the streets??
She said it was because where we live....... I told her that was a load of Rubbish as Margo is £10.
I dare not cancel as I cancelled Lilly's insurance and the day after she got head tilt
I'm thinking of swapping Margo to Helpucover or Exotic direct, but unsure if they will do the same when she gets a blue rinse/pension.
Any one recommend the 2 above or having the same problem with pet plan old .age .bunny

That's infuriating. I refused to insure with PetPlan because years ago the fees were above £25 a month per rabbit. We were told we were in the most expensive part of the country!

I always found exotic direct to be helpful. I haven't heard of the other insurance company.

I had the same issue when tango turned 7. I looked around admittedly a bit half heartedly and found he was too old to be a new "customer" anywhere else. Fingers crossed you find a resolution

Thank you everyone.:thumb:

SANTA:-I know I can't swap Ron with his age, and I would still keep paying it for him, as with what happened to Lilly the day after I cancelled her insurance. and Like your Dudley was as fit as a fiddle until 8 like you say.

It was Margo who I was looking else where for as she is only 3 years old.

NESSAR:- Is your Barneys xs £90 with you claiming for him, has it gone up from previous xs' or has it always been £90?

MIGHTY MAX:- £25 per month per Bun:shock: Its wrong when cats are £7ish.
How much is your xs for Exotic Direct?

I have looked at Vets for pets, Helpucover and Exotic Direct but there is only V4P that only put the xs on the info, so I might be shooting myself in the foot

SANTA:-I know I can't swap Ron with his age, and I would still keep paying it for him, as with what happened to Lilly the day after I cancelled her insurance. and Like your Dudley was as fit as a fiddle until 8 like you say.

Aaah, sorry I had misread! Mine are all insured with Pets at Home of all places, and it doesn't seem to go up all that much every year - I think I'm still only paying about £90 a year premium with about a £75 excess (probably plus a % now, can't remember off the top of my head), for lifetime cover for each of my two. I wonder if V4P is the same underwriter as PAH because they're all part of the same corporation these days!

Back