• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can rabbits change colour?

dominoid

Warren Scout
Tifa seems to be growing some splodges of grey during her moult, is that normal? My cinnamon bun is acquiring sprinkles!
tusytava.jpg

Aww cute! Perfectly normal.

I had a bunny years ago who would literally go from mostly white in the summer to dark grey in the winter.

Yep, we got Fili in February, he was mostly ginger. This is him now:
10291792_10152161796636847_2464985778315729781_n.jpg

Even his old foster carer can't believe how much he's changed!

Yep they often change colour as they get older, when they moult, and when they're out in the sun a lot. I've owned a lot of thriantas and they're a gingery colour and they always seem to get more and more white flecks/patches as they age

Yes they definitely can and do change colour. My little jet black nethie is now a brown and black nethie :lol:
.. and his wife used to have dark brown feet which are now almost as white as the rest of her ..

I blame the sun :D

Harry used to change colour in the summer.

I think outdoor buns change more than indoors from the sun.

One of my old bunny's, Bobby, used to do exactly the same. Black in the winter and auburn/Brown in the summer :)

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I do think it's the sun bleaching the fur..although I don't know about that. It only seems to change colour on her back. I will find out this year, anyway, because she was living as a stray when I found her but she's an indoor bun now. She will get to go outside when it's nice, but obviously won't be so exposed to the sun.

Rose has Himalayan markings, and her nose splodge never seems to stay the same shape/ size!

That's actually because of the way the gene that causes himalayan markings works, the colder it is the darker their extremities go and the colour often spreads out a bit :)

I do think it's the sun bleaching the fur..although I don't know about that. It only seems to change colour on her back. I will find out this year, anyway, because she was living as a stray when I found her but she's an indoor bun now. She will get to go outside when it's nice, but obviously won't be so exposed to the sun.

Yeah that definitely sounds like sun bleaching if it's mainly on her back, one of my rabbits went from having black patches to dark ginger patches one summer because he was out so much :lol:

That's actually because of the way the gene that causes himalayan markings works, the colder it is the darker their extremities go and the colour often spreads out a bit :)

Yeah that definitely sounds like sun bleaching if it's mainly on her back, one of my rabbits went from having black patches to dark ginger patches one summer because he was out so much :lol:

Haha I know.. It's just she appears to be going the wrong way! It's getting bigger as it's getting warmer. :p

Haha I know.. It's just she appears to be going the wrong way! It's getting bigger as it's getting warmer. :p

Haha that's strange, unless she's still growing?

I love himalayans, they're a seriously underrated breed, so soppy and laid back yet you don't see them that much as pets

Oh yes, my bridge bun Coco was chocolate brown when I adopted her in February, by the summer she was caramel all over, nearly had to change her name! :lol:

Haha that's strange, unless she's still growing?

I love himalayans, they're a seriously underrated breed, so soppy and laid back yet you don't see them that much as pets

She's about 10/11 months.. I think I should have taken a weekly picture and made a splodge chart!

She's a dwarf lop (cross probably) so has the markings (white feet though) but not the character!
I always think she looks a bit dopey though. :lol:

Back