• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby wildie help

Rach210

Alpha Buck
I have just been woken up by my husband holding a tiny wildie that he rescued from the cat. It's scared but seems uninjured. He thought it was a pet bunny because it's such a lovely, glossy, healthy looking little thing. I would guess it's somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks old. What do I do with it? Is it OK to pop down the road and put it in a field? It's in my spare cage at the moment having some peace and quiet.

He could be a domestic bunny, some pictures of his face could help a bit more to tell I think :wave: Wouldn't want him to be released if he is a domestic bun :wave:

So i'm pretty sure it is wild, what should I do? I can't release it where it came from because I don't know where the cat found it. Will it be OK if I put it in a field somewhere?

Give a wildlife centre a ring. They should be able to give you some advice.

I don't think putting it in any old field will be a good idea, especially during the day. If it doesn't find it's own family, it won't survive long.

Sending lots of vibes for the little baby. x

Give a wildlife centre a ring. They should be able to give you some advice.

I don't think putting it in any old field will be a good idea, especially during the day. If it doesn't find it's own family, it won't survive long.

Sending lots of vibes for the little baby. x

The wildlife rescue that Captain Helen recommended and they said to find out where it came from and put it back. Strangely enough the cat won't tell me where he found it. They said that if we put it back in a random field it might be accepted by other rabbits if it's female but a male will be rejected. So I will try to sex it.

The wildlife rescue that Captain Helen recommended and they said to find out where it came from and put it back. Strangely enough the cat won't tell me where he found it. They said that if we put it back in a random field it might be accepted by other rabbits if it's female but a male will be rejected. So I will try to sex it.

I would presume it came from nearby to you. Do you know where there is a warren close by? It will be difficult, but hopefully you can get this baby back where he/she belongs.

Don't release him/her until dusk or evening, though. Just to minimise the risk of predation.

Good luck. :)

As said, he needs to be released near the other rabbits - hopefully near his own warren. If it is a different warren, they will either accept him or he'll die, he won't last on his own. Being young should hopefully help with his integration.

When you handle him, rub your hands in hay/the bunny's poo first, just so you don't get 'human' scent all over him, as that may hinder him being accepted back into the warren.

I doubt a cat could have carried him very far, so do you have any fields nearby? Sometimes you get wildies on big roundabouts too.

Bunny is female which might make a new warren more likely to accept her. There are lots of fields around because we live on the edge of a village. The place she's most likely to have been caught is only accessible through someone's garden but there is a lot of farmland where I see bunnies regularly nearby.

Bunny is female which might make a new warren more likely to accept her. There are lots of fields around because we live on the edge of a village. The place she's most likely to have been caught is only accessible through someone's garden but there is a lot of farmland where I see bunnies regularly nearby.

Could you knock on the door and ask to let bunny go at the back of their garden?

Could you knock on the door and ask to let bunny go at the back of their garden?

I'm sure they wouldn't mind, baby bunnies are adorable things, most people would want to help them. Go round with said baby bunny and show them, they won't be able to refuse :)

I wasn't able to release bunny in their garden. I put her in a nearby field, I don't know what rabbit homing instincts are like or how far they travel in the wild but maybe she'll find her way home.

I wasn't able to release bunny in their garden. I put her in a nearby field, I don't know what rabbit homing instincts are like or how far they travel in the wild but maybe she'll find her way home.

Well, you've given her a chance at least. :thumb: She would have stood no chance without being rescued from the cat. I'm sure she will find her way home.

At least she's in a rabbity area, and the cat may not have caught her where I assumed he did. My husband thinks bunny found its way into the garden on its own since we didn't see the cat bring it into the garden and he would have had to carry it over at least 3 fences.

Back