• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frustrated

dumblepaws

Mama Doe
I really want to give the bunnies the opportunity to free range

They're in a 10ft x 6ft enclosure, and they get to come into the slightly bigger conservatory to play each night, but i keep seeing photos of bunnies really enjoying the outdoors and really really want to see mine have the opportunity to properly run without needing to turn after 5 or 6 hops.
But the garden isn't bunny proof, and i think it's going to be time consuming and expensive to sort that. And DP is too small for a harness and superlonglead, and Waffles is ok with one being put on, but then always manages to get her front paw in front of it so it's too dangerous and I'm not trying it again
And there aren't any bigger inside rooms with suitable flooring

It sounds like the space they've already got is pretty good.

I do know what you mean as mine are the same, we have a huge garden but we get regular foxes and birds of prey and there are gaps in the fence at the end. I wouldn't even let them free range supervised, which is a shame because they'd love it but safety comes first.

It sounds like you are doing the best you can for them and 10x6 plus extra in the evening is a lot bigger than a lot of bunnies get.

It sounds like the space they've already got is pretty good.

I do know what you mean as mine are the same, we have a huge garden but we get regular foxes and birds of prey and there are gaps in the fence at the end. I wouldn't even let them free range supervised, which is a shame because they'd love it but safety comes first.

It sounds like you are doing the best you can for them and 10x6 plus extra in the evening is a lot bigger than a lot of bunnies get.

I agree with this ^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely wouldn't let them out unless it's bunny proofed. They would probably just enjoy having the run on the grass. The other option is to put towels down on your floors and see if they're ok on that.

Thanks - I know what they have is ok, but they're the awesomest bunniest in my world so they deserve more
So we went to a garden centre, and i was looking at trellis and thinking if we got some of that and put mesh on then it might do something
And then got home and got creative and voila :)
BmJ4_w6IYAAkxIc.jpg

It's made of the roof of the run and the two bunny containment barriers (BCB) we have in the conservatory and gives them a 12ft extension so they can have an 18ft zone including their normal enclosure
They could jump over it, but they've never yet jumped over the BCB indoors
And the cat next door could jump in
So it's only suitable when they've got attentive supervision - but they loved it!
May try and get some trellis panels as an extension but it feels a good temporary solution :)

BmJ5TXcIgAABFdl.jpg

BmJ5Ze_IYAApkju.jpg

Back