• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'I am a Much Better Rabbit Care Giver Thanks to RU'

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I suspect the title of this thread applies to many of us. Having spent a lot of time over the last few days looking at old photos I am horrified to think of how I used to keep my Rabbits and how over-weight they all were. Mostly due to lack of space, but also due to the fact I used to feed them far too much. I honestly feel too ashamed to post the photos. They are from 1998 to about 2006/7

Once when posting some photos on here (and I hope I wont get into trouble for mentioning it) my then set-up was referred to as 'awful' and a 'shanty town'. Needless to say I was VERY upset. However, some members who's opinions I respected (respect!!) offered less harsh but constructive advice as to how I could improve things. Had they not done so and had the only comments been the 'full on attack' type I would probably have just disappeared from the Forum. I may have made changes to how I was keeping my Rabbits, but then again I may not. It was the constructive advice, given in a 'friendly' manner that I took on board.

The episode also taught me to try to offer advice in the same way, rather than to go in all guns blazing as I had previously done. (I have the infractions to show for it :oops:)

I guess the point of this thread is to say that RU really has made a huge difference to the overall welfare of the Rabbits I now care for. If the Forum did not exist I really do believe that thousands of Rabbits world wide would be worse off. I am sure many other people have learned as much as I have from their time as a member of RU and by continuing to share our Rabbit care, health and welfare ideas we can all continue to learn and as a result Rabbits will reap the benefits.

What prompted me to post all that ^^^^^^^^^^^ I dont know !!

:thumb: well said and couldn't agree more. I've learnt so much from RU over the years AND been able to share my life and heart with some wonderful bunnies found via RU.

I totally agree. Before I joined RU I went through loads of the threads to try and work out the best way to look after the bunnies I was planning on getting. I had no idea about rescues, free ranging or anything. I'm so glad I found RU for all the useful information on diet, housing and health, I wouldn't have had a clue without everyone elses knowledge.

God, yes. I totally agree with you.

Before I found this forum I had absolutely no idea what I was doing with Fiver. He had free range of my living room when I was in but was shut in a 4ft savic cage when I was out or during the night. I now know that his awful bar biting habit is because of this. :cry: If it wasn't for RU I would never have thought to have him neutered and vaccinated and to get him a friend. More recently, I would never have realised his symptoms (sore hocks etc) pointed to arthritis (thanx to you, Jane, who prompted me to look into the reasons for his sore hocks) and to many others who advised me to try acupuncture. I now have a happy, healthy and PAIN FREE bunny thanks to RU. :thumb:

Not to mention the 3 bunnies that I rescued and handed to over to various amazing rabbit rescues. :love: It was only because of this forum that these bunnies found somewhere safe and were eventually rehomed.

Fiver says "Thank you RU hoomins!"

Yes it most definately applies to me and I would say a lot of my health relted knowledge comes from you too Jane so thank you :love:

i think you're spot on about the way people word their advice...i always try to be nice but i know at times i come on a bit strong and harsh! the problem is we are all so :censored: passionate about bunnies :roll: the friendly, helpful advice on this forum is invaluable though and im sure many bunnies are enjoying happier lives as a result :thumb:

Without people like Sky-O, Jane and several other members, a few of whom no longer frequent the forum, I wouldn't be in my existing position. Biscuit would never have had a friend, Ginger would have never come into my life and I wouldn't have known what to do.

This forum is only as good as it is because of its members.

Once when posting some photos on here (and I hope I wont get into trouble for mentioning it) my then set-up was referred to as 'awful' and a 'shanty town'. Needless to say I was VERY upset. However, some members who's opinions I respected (respect!!) offered less harsh but constructive advice as to how I could improve things. Had they not done so and had the only comments been the 'full on attack' type I would probably have just disappeared from the Forum. I may have made changes to how I was keeping my Rabbits, but then again I may not. It was the constructive advice, given in a 'friendly' manner that I took on board.

The episode also taught me to try to offer advice in the same way, rather than to go in all guns blazing as I had previously done. (I have the infractions to show for it :oops:)

:thumb: I feel like I'm often reminding people of the above (ie. it's not what you say but how you say it & people are less likely to listen if others are aggressive in their tone) so it's good to hear it from somebody with first-hand experience too. :D I know I probably sound like a broken record on the subject sometimes. :oops::lol:

I totally agree with everything else you said too.

Good post! I've only recently joined as a member but have lurked on here for nearly a year. My knowledge of all things rabbit has grown vastly and my commitment to my buns is at the forefront of my daily life - all thanks to this forum. I'm really proud to have passed on so much to my hubby too and it makes me smile when I hear him addressing other people's bunny misconceptions with such a passion.

I certainly know my buns would not have the care they do without this forum - I would probably feel very alone and helpless alot of the time if I didn't have a 'go to' place to express my fears and concerns - and the good times too:thumb:

And I know it's not just my buns that benefit from all the knowledge on here - I've been able to give good advise to others who aren't on here and their buns have benefited as well. It's a wonderful butterfly effect :D

What a great thread :thumb:

I too have learnt so much on RU and my rabbits are definitely happier and healthier because of it x

:D its true, jane, r u does make a difference!
i'm glad the 'fuil on attack' crew aren't around so much any more.
i wish some of the nice posters would post more often. :D
:wave:

This forum is amazing I knew this morning when Ozzie was I'll that I would get support,advice,and kindness. I prayed jane would be online and she was. Thankyou xx

well said jane, I think we can all say the same, when I first got a rescue bunny a companion for it was a guinea pig, we learned the hard way as she left him in all her soiled bedding his teeth chattering as he did not understand her language

ive learned so much from the forum, and have helped others to, and spread whatever I have learned, the health knowledge I have you to thank for

Completely agree Jane :thumb: I also think it is all in the way you say things, some people go in all guns blazing and it makes me cringe(especially if it's a new member posting for the first time) how must a full attack make them feel, constructive advice is what people want, not to be made to feel as though they are useless. People need to remember we all started out novices at one point.

I'm a blunt person :)oops::lol:), but even I cringe at the way some people go into immediate "attack" mode when "educating" people on rabbit care. I don't mind so much when it's with people who ask for advice and then refuse to take it (there's a special place in hell for those people), but unsolicted, aggressive advice gets my goat :evil:.

I remember when I moved house about 5 years ago, and during the move Fidget was in a temporary small cage I had (incidentally left over from my pre-RU days; her usual residence was a large multi-level dog crate) as my carrier was broken. A friend who was helping me move took a photo and posted it on Facebook, and total stranger took it upon themselves to totally slate me based on the presumption that she lived permanently in a 24" cage. What she said was right (based on the idea that a rabbit was living in a small cage), but the manner in which it was delivered would probably have alienated anyone who didn't know any better.

Anyway, thanks to RU, my bunnies have gone from being unneutered and unvaccinated and living singly in small indoor cages (frighteningly rescued from even worse conditions with no hay) to neutered, vaccinated and living in a 10ft x 6ft-ish enclosure in my front room or run of the spare room, that which gives them more room in there than I have :lol:.

I agree with your post Jane, but don't be so hard on yourself. The knowledge of rabbit care has increased vastly over the years so it's to be expected that some things that were normal and acceptable then are not now. It's no-one's fault, it's just changing knowledge! :D

Well said Jane :D

I have learned so much during my time on here which I can't believe is 6 years now :shock: Where has the time gone?:lol:

I agree with your post Jane, but don't be so hard on yourself. The knowledge of rabbit care has increased vastly over the years so it's to be expected that some things that were normal and acceptable then are not now. It's no-one's fault, it's just changing knowledge! :D

This!!

Without this forum I don't think my rabbits would have half as good care as they could do. While I wish I had known more about rabbits when I first got iggy, I didn't know any better and i followed what advice I could find. I can only go forward in giving betty and Walt the best lives I can. We do the best we can with the tools we have and ru is a fantastic tool :)

Back