• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sty (sp)

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jimby stopped eating yesterday so obviously after giving him a tummy rub I took him to the vets, full health check, no change to the minor spurs, no weight loss, tummy movement very much slowed down.
Had usual meds and got vet to check his eye as I had seen what looked like a sty.
I was right he has a few blocked cysts on the inside of his eye lid. I cant remember the word he used.
Anyway vet said that we will give them a chance to go away by themselves but if not and if they begin to affect him they may need treatment.
Jims has picked up a little and looks a bit happier in himself.

How odd! Bit random, but did the vet do a test for dry eye? It's quite common in older dogs but my Heather also had it due to age, where her tear ducts dried up. There is a different variant which I suffer from where the oil glands don't flow freely, making the eyes dry because the tears aren't protected by an oil film so they evaporate - and this can result in little cysts like you describe, and it can also result in ulceration of the surface of the eye, which can be very painful. If it doesn't clear up, it might be worth mentioning to see if it is a possibility - easily, quickly and cheaply tested so it can be ruled in or out fairly quickly...and if it is something like that, it's also fairly easily resolved with a gazillion eyedrops!

Fingers crossed whatever it is clears up on its own and doesn't cause Jimby any more problems :)

Tango also developed a sty on his eye. He had 2 courses of eye drops and it cleared up. We did wonder about possible blocked tear duct but vet said he would investigate it if it didn't clear up. Hope all gets sorted

I did ask about possible blocked duck but he said it definitely wasnt that. He said that eye drops wouldn't make a difference as its not that kind of problem, if it doesnt go away it would need surgery to either drain it or cut it away but he doesnt want to go there unless we have to as obviously a GA is not something to take lightly.

With dry eye, the eye drops aren't to treat the stye, they're to protect the surface of the eye from the potential damage (and hence pain) caused by having dry eyes - so if it is a problem along those lines, the vet is absolutely right that they won't make a difference to the problem...but they could potentially help with discomfort caused by it. Hopefully it's just a random one-off thing that will go away on its own in any case :) How is Jimby this morning, is he feeling ok in himself?

With dry eye, the eye drops aren't to treat the stye, they're to protect the surface of the eye from the potential damage (and hence pain) caused by having dry eyes - so if it is a problem along those lines, the vet is absolutely right that they won't make a difference to the problem...but they could potentially help with discomfort caused by it. Hopefully it's just a random one-off thing that will go away on its own in any case :) How is Jimby this morning, is he feeling ok in himself?

Thankyou for asking :)
He ate some breakfast and seems more lively. We are keeping up the meds at the moment.

At a cross road and not sure which way to go, Jimby ate all his veg last night but not in one sitting which he normally does and he ate all but 2 of his biscuits this morning. He is more or less back to himself and is pooing but they are small to be expected. We last medicated last night and are in two minds ad to whether we should make today the last day or leave him be now?

I'd tend to give it, won't do any harm :) It does seem to take them a few days to get back in the swing of things with the pooping eating so he sounds like he's well on the road to normal.

Back