• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT Not eating again and we go on holida UPDATE

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
Ozzie was fine last night, eating hay etc

This morning he ignored the pellets, tried carrots and apple but not interested

Brought him in and gave him 3 syringes of infacol and 0.5 meloxidyl at 8am

Weve had one teeny wee and one poo but he is laid out with legs out, so he looks relaxed but hes not an indoor rabbit so I think he is just laying like this to be comfy.

We are going on holiday in at half nine, its now 8.45

Any advice for anything else I can try, Ive done a bit of chasing round to get things moving, resulting in the wee and one poo.

Why is it always when theres something crucial going on!

Last edited:
Who is looking after him whilst you are away? Could that person keep an eye on him for a couple of hours and take to the vet if necessary?

My neighbours looking after the gang, shes at work.

My husbands not happy. we can delay setting off but hes not happy about it.

Just got some dandilions so lets see what happens. It usually takes him an hour to eat when he does this. I thought it was readigrass last time but don't know whats done it this time

Oh no. :-( happens at the worst time. Do you have pain relief med to give? Keep him moving, or massage his stomach as well. Is the person looking after know about bunnies or knows can take bunny to vet?

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Oh no. :-( happens at the worst time. Do you have pain relief med to give? Keep him moving, or massage his stomach as well. Is the person looking after know about bunnies or knows can take bunny to vet?

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

gave hime 0.5mil pain relief at 8am just been trying to waft dandioon leaves under his nose and he graed them and threw them away so theres plenty spirit and fight there.

Oh no what a nightmare! I don't think I'd be able to go away 'til he was better. Or if you have to go, could you check him in at the vets or a boarding place that can deal with him?

If you haven't got a plane to catch, so time is of the essence, I would delay starting out until you are sure he's ok. How long are you going for?

Can you drop him off at the Vets and ask them to admit him and then ask your neighbour to collect him
To be honest there is no way I could go away and leave him unattended until the neighbour gets home :cry:

Can he have more pain relief/infacol. He weighs about 2.4k

hes had 0.5 mil pain relief and 3 syringes of infacol

No I cant go away till I know he is ok, he has done it twice before, but started eating etc within the hour then been fine.

Can he have more pain relief/infacol. He weighs about 2.4k

hes had 0.5 mil pain relief and 3 syringes of infacol

No, please see my previous post

You dont know what is wrong with him so IMO your only option is to get him to a Vet. Sorry to be blunt, but there really is no alternative.

No, please see my previous post

You dont know what is wrong with him so IMO your only option is to get him to a Vet. Sorry to be blunt, but there really is no alternative.

Luckily we are only in a caravan so theres really no major time restrictions so I do have the opportunity to watch him at home. Despite how my hubby feels.

He looks like he did last time (Jan/Feb) he looks like he has tummy ache. When we approach him he runs round the room but if we leave him he either sits normal or stretches out, although hes doing more sitting and less stretching at the moment.

I gave them parsnip last night and we also have some new branches in the aviairy that they've gone mad on. they are buddleia branches which I understand to be safe commonly known as butterfly bush

Oh my stress levels are sky high

HE IS EATING AND WEEING AND A FEW POOS

I let him outside wondering if he was uneasy in the house and he immediately ran to the shed and started eating like a starving man!

Hes had a wash, washed Twinkle, jumped on top of the hutch and run round the patio.

Ive left very detailed instructions with my neighbours husband, hes going to check through the day, his wife who is the one that feeds them is home at 1pm.

Ive left instructions for the vets and what symptoms to look for and the medication is on the worktop, shes done it in the past.

Being the softie that I am when he started eating I cried. We are delaying setting off so I can keep an eye on him but I now feel safe enough to get dressed and have a cuppa

Brilliant news. I have one who does this too. Always worrying.

Thank you for the support. Its as if he knows we are going away even though they live outside.

He did it last time we went away.

He is currently 'hoovering' the patio searching for tasty bits. and periscoping to see if theres anything worth jumping onto the garden chairs for! The other 2 are sat watching him and drinking from the garden fountain! Think he might be ok, bloomin bunnies

Last edited:
Back